I’m somewhat confused on terminology and best practises adm, adml admx, GPO’s on Windows 2008 R2.
I wanted to and implement default search provider GPO and found this link http://blog.concurrency.com/infrastructure/customize-ie8-through-group-policy
and this http://www.bibble-it.com/2010/05/18/vista-windows-7-custom-google-search-engine-policy-ie7-ie8
Now my questions on GPO/policies:
• When would you use “Restore from Backup” or “Import Settings” on policy?
• When you edit the policy, you have the “add/remove templates” section, what is the idea behind this compared to the “Restore from Backup” or “Import Settings”?
• I have downloaded adm-files (f.e. Office 2010), but I see at c:\windows\policydefinitio
ns contains a lot of admx-files, what is the story here & how should I import them?
• Why is there a registry section in GPO (GPO preferences) whereas GPO’s are actually setting registry settings?
• What about the “Central Store” policy definitions, is this a best practice in companies, what if you don’t use it (I haven’t set it up in my lab)
• What about tools to convert registry files to GPO
I googled around and found this but I’m not fully able to put the pieces together of http://www.experts-exchange.com/Database/Software/Microsoft_Enterprise/Q_27864871.html