Not all users getting X500 Exchange 2010 address list updates
Posted on 2012-09-21
Hey guys, I just finished transitioning a 2003 exchange server to 2010. Everything's working except 1 user isn't receiving email from all internal users. We had a problem with 1 mailbox moving - it failed - so we exported the PST and deleted the user. Then recreated a new ADUC account and imported the PST file.
Except now internal users can't email him. I found an article explaining his X500 address needed to be added to his Email addresses, which I did, but only a couple users are able to email him now (I"m guessing thats because the OAB isn't propagating properly).
If the internal users sign into OWA they can email him internally. All external users can email successfully. Its only in Outlook app it fails. I've cleared their cache email listing. Tried to use the OAB but only on 2 out of 6 users does the X500 address show up.
IF we try to run the Update Addresslist in Outlook 2010 it fails with "task reported error 0x8004010f the operation failed an object cannot be found"
The error the internal users get is:
Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.
Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: EX2010.intranet.local
#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found ##
Original message headers:
Received: from EX2010.intranet.local ([fe80::c197:1ef:2982:8a6f]) by
ex2010.intranet.local ([fe80::c197:1ef:2982:8a6f%13]) with mapi id
14.02.0247.003; Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:19:12 -0400
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
From: Ashely <email@example.com>
To: Brent <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: test 369
Thread-Topic: test 369
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 15:19:10 -0400