Link to home
Create AccountLog in
Avatar of pcjunki
pcjunki

asked on

Outlook Web Access

I have setup a lab environment server 20008 with Exchange 2010. My main goal is to use this server so users can access email remotely from the web. At times the page will load, I can login and all is fine. Come back two hours later and enter the address https://mail.xxx.xxx.com/owa and internet explorer cannot display the webpage. Buckle up because this may take some time, I will be happy to share whatever logs may shed some light as to why this happens.

Thanks in Advance
Avatar of uescomp
uescomp
Flag of Afghanistan image

If that does not work 2 hours later try the IP address to see if it is a DNS issue.  

Example:  https://123.123.123.123/owa
When the issue happens, what is the server load in terms of CPU / Performance issues seen?

Are there any events seen in application logs?

Also does recycling IIS helps you?

Regards,
Exchange_Geek
Avatar of pcjunki
pcjunki

ASKER

Checked the logs and nothing is indicating an issue that would prevent the page from displaying. I can get on the server type https://<server-name>.<domain-name>/owa and owa comes right up. Resetting IIS does not seem to make a difference. typing https://<ip address>/owa the page does display.
Does this happen to remote users / local users or both?

Regards,
Exchange_Geek
Avatar of E C
Are you saying that it always works when you use the IP Address. (https://111.222.333.444/owa)

If so, this smells like a DNS issue. Are you hosting your domain's DNS or are you using a hosting company for your external DNS? Is this the only Exchange server? (You mentioned this server would only be used for Outlook Web Access)
Avatar of pcjunki

ASKER

There are no local domain users at the moment as im still working out the kinks. I do have a DC that has the AD, DHCP roles assigned, and also providing DNS for other non domain computers, and all computers plus the only Exchange box are pointing to it for DNS.  The weird thing is that when I try OWA using the IP Address, and then within a few minutes use the external name i.e. mail.xxxxx/owa it comes up. I do believe it might be DNS Related but I"m unsure where to start looking.
Ok here is the deal, when you get the error  using OWA with FQDN at that moment, can you perform nslookup against the FQDN remotely?

Does DNS resolve the Name?

How about you simply placing the FQDN against the IP Address in host entry and try for a day?

This is a DNS / Firewall issue, either ways - this isn't Exchange that's messed up.

Regards,
Exchange_Geek
Hi

I am not that expert, but when similar issue came with my lab setup, I tried to use OWA with Private Selection. I mean when OWA page opens beneath Uaername and Password, there are 2 modes, Public and Private.
Bu default its always Public which disconnects the user if user is idle.

so try to use Private and login and wait if that disconnects....

Nitin
Avatar of pcjunki

ASKER

Okay heres the update. It came to me that I did not inform the Experts that I was trying to access owa externally with machines that were pointed to an internal DNS Server. I changed the DNS to an External Server and I've had no issues, thus the problem is the internal DNS. My question is what do I have to add so that I can use the internal DNS A Record PTR Record etc..and in which Zones. Thanks for all your help
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of Exchange_Geek
Exchange_Geek
Flag of India image

Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account