Solved

WSS 3.0 - Under Construction page and "Cannot connect to the configuration database"

Posted on 2012-12-20
8
684 Views
Last Modified: 2012-12-21
This sharepoint site was working until we had to demote and promote the server. (Don't ask).  I had a good backup of the database but when i restore them I get the "Under Configuration" page when trying to connect to http://servername and I get "Cannot connect to the configuration database" when I try to connect to http://localhost or when I try to open Sharepoint 3.0 Central Administration.

What I did to get to this point.  I removed and reinstalled WSS 3.0.  This re-created the Windows Internal Database and then I ran the Sharepoint Products and Tech Configuration Wizard.  After that completed I restored the admin and config databases to the ones created by the wizard.

I'm sure I did something wrong but I don't know what.  

Anyone care to point out what i did wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Craig
0
Comment
Question by:computerconcepts
  • 5
  • 3
8 Comments
 
LVL 42

Expert Comment

by:EugeneZ
ID: 38710367
check if this WSS2 solution can work for you:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/823287

or/and this one

WSS 3.0 – Cannot connect to the configuration database
http://blog.rojakstyle.com/?p=480
0
 

Author Comment

by:computerconcepts
ID: 38710408
Thanks but I've already visted those sites and no, unfortunately neither one helped.
0
 
LVL 42

Expert Comment

by:EugeneZ
ID: 38710452
I assume the IIS reset and sql server reboot were in place.

Any errors in EV  on the WSS server?
Any errors=in sql server? check Sql error it may tell you about failed login
you may need to check WSSWEBserver$ login there
0
Microsoft Certification Exam 74-409

Veeam® is happy to provide the Microsoft community with a study guide prepared by MVP and MCT, Orin Thomas. This guide will take you through each of the exam objectives, helping you to prepare for and pass the examination.

 

Author Comment

by:computerconcepts
ID: 38711092
Unknown SQL Exception 33002 occured. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.

Access to module dbo.proc_getObjectsByClass is blocked because the signature is not valid.

That is what i get in the EV.  Event ID 5586.

*********************

Also get this one along with it:  Event ID 33002

The description for Event ID ( 33002 ) in Source ( MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: module, dbo.proc_getObjectsByClass.
0
 

Author Comment

by:computerconcepts
ID: 38711258
More info:

The sharepoint_config database is in single user mode.  

From what i have learned this is because an update/upgrade didnt apply properly.  So i ran psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -wait -force from C:\Program Files\Common File\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\bin directory but now it gives me "An exception of type System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException was thrown." The login failed. Login failed for user DOMAIN\Administrator

Another site i found suggests finding the database id, then find who connected to it and look for spid, run master and kill 147 then set to multi_user but i have no idea how to do this.  Can anyone help me with this?  Anyone know what the heck that is?
0
 

Author Comment

by:computerconcepts
ID: 38711315
OK, so I figured out what the whole spid  run master and kill means.  But now it tells me when i run the query to kill the database id for the Sharepoint_config database "Cannot use KILL to kill your own process."

I'm using master and it still tells me this.  Any suggestions?
0
 
LVL 42

Accepted Solution

by:
EugeneZ earned 500 total points
ID: 38711359
<Cannot use KILL to kill your own process."

open another SSMS session and try to kill or change DB connection : from SSMS or use master or just close ssms , etc
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:computerconcepts
ID: 38713526
I did that and still no luck.  I'm prob doing something wrong.  I ended up restoring a backup again and now it's in multi-user mode but I'm back to the original problem.  I'm going to suggest we start over from scratch with new database and manually enter he calendar data.  Turns out this sharepoint site was only used for vacation calendar and one other smaller calendar.  

Thanks for your help!
0

Featured Post

Efficient way to get backups off site to Azure

This user guide provides instructions on how to deploy and configure both a StoneFly Scale Out NAS Enterprise Cloud Drive virtual machine and Veeam Cloud Connect in the Microsoft Azure Cloud.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Introduction SQL Server Integration Services can read XML files, that’s known by every BI developer.  (If you didn’t, don’t worry, I’m aiming this article at newcomers as well.) But how far can you go?  When does the XML Source component become …
This article shows gives you an overview on SQL Server 2016 row level security. You will also get to know the usages of row-level-security and how it works
Using examples as well as descriptions, and references to Books Online, show the documentation available for date manipulation functions and by using a select few of these functions, show how date based data can be manipulated with these functions.
Via a live example, show how to extract insert data into a SQL Server database table using the Import/Export option and Bulk Insert.

803 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question