troubleshooting Question

Thread started with AfxBeginThread() hogging CPU

allanephillipsFlag for Canada asked on
Microsoft Development
8 Comments1 Solution868 ViewsLast Modified:
I have CDialog based modal dialog that invokes a fairly lengthy processing step using the following call:

Thr=AfxBeginThread(MyFunction, pPam, THREAD_PRIORITY_LOWEST);

The thread starts up and runs nicely to completion.   However I have a CProgressCtrl on the invoking modal dialog that I want to update while the lengthy process is happening.

I have a timer set in the dialog that calls me every 100 ms.  At that time I attempt to set the progress bar using SetPos().  The problem I have is that I have to call Sleep() in the spawned thread in order to give the dialog a chance to update the progress bar.

I would have thought that the dialog would have gotten some cycles especially when I used  THREAD_PRIORITY_LOWEST for the spawned thread.

Is the main thread expected to get no cycles unless the spawned thread does some sleeping?

I'm running on a reasonable machine (Intel i5).
Join the community to see this answer!
Join our exclusive community to see this answer & millions of others.
Unlock 1 Answer and 8 Comments.
Join the Community
Learn from the best

Network and collaborate with thousands of CTOs, CISOs, and IT Pros rooting for you and your success.

Andrew Hancock - VMware vExpert
See if this solution works for you by signing up for a 7 day free trial.
Unlock 1 Answer and 8 Comments.
Try for 7 days

”The time we save is the biggest benefit of E-E to our team. What could take multiple guys 2 hours or more each to find is accessed in around 15 minutes on Experts Exchange.

-Mike Kapnisakis, Warner Bros