I'm a searsoned data architect with more than 10 years of experience designing, developing, and performance tuning RDBMS applications primarily in Oracle platform.
To broaden my skill, I want to be proficient in Big data technologies like Hadoop and primarily in NoSQL databases (Riak, HBase,MongoDB, CouchDB).
I'm actively following big data and NoSQL articles and concepts in past 5-6 months but what I want now is hands-on and some in-house project experience on these technologies.
My questions are:
1. What are the technologies, programming languages, concepts I must learn to get a good drip in NoSQL technologies and Hadoop (I know list can be very big - but want to get a quick grip in medium term say 6-8 months)
2. Is there any training, certification valued by industry ?
3. What is the step by step approach for a database guy to conquer
NoSQL Technologies and Hadoop? For example:
A sample path to learn Riak
1. Learn general NoSQL concepts
2. Learn Ruby (prerequisite of talking with many NoSQL APIs)
---- what key concepts I must learn in Ruby
3. Learn / revisit web service basics - REST etc.
4. Learn RIAK
Above is a sample that I've developed to express what I want to know. Requesting your comment and suggestions.