Solved

Outlook has found more than one" pop up when editing/saving contacts

Posted on 2012-12-28
8
405 Views
Last Modified: 2013-04-26
We have an executive user who when accessing contacts via Outlook client, upon editing a contact and then trying to close/save the changes, Outlook would try to verify the name of the contact but would be unable to find a match.

The really odd part is that the name it is trying to check isn't the contact that you've just edited.

For example: If I edited John Doe, when I saved the contact, the pop up says, that Outlook found more than one Ralph Malph.

Further, the person Outlook is referencing Ralph Malph doesn't exist in contacts.

His admin, has editing access to his contacts and I saw this behavior on her pc, outlook client but within his contacts.

I created an outlook profile for the Exec on another laptop saw this same behavior.
And of course, I've witnessed the behavior directly on the production machine the exec uses.

There's no rhyme or reason, and the next day the problem was gone, but it came back a few days later.

Attached is an example of the message.  In this case, Outlook was unable find a match for "Jane Done"... but I was in John Smith's contact information.

I have fooled with the address book order, but that doesn't change the behavior.  

Outlook 2007 SP3
Exchange 2010

Outlook could not find a match
0
Comment
Question by:ExecTech24
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 4
  • 2
8 Comments
 
LVL 14

Expert Comment

by:luconsta
ID: 38743398
Having the same problem on another PC is leading to a "server" problem - in you case probably a mailbox problem.
You coud try, if having proper access to the Exchange server, to see if there is any mailbox corruption problem.
For example you could use instructions from here: Create a Mailbox Repair Request - especially the ones from section Use the Shell to detect corruptions for a mailbox to see if there is any problem with it and eventually to repair it.
0
 

Author Comment

by:ExecTech24
ID: 38760419
In looking at the origin of the contacts the ones that seem to be effected were created from his admin assistants from years ago.  These assistants are no longer with the company so their network accounts of course don't exist.  We're thinking that the somehow some kind of check is running against these orphaned contacts.  With Microsoft we were able to strip the "From" field which equals who created the contact -- then put the contact back and everything seemed fine.  Still researching..
0
 

Author Comment

by:ExecTech24
ID: 38783748
Still sorting through this but it's looking like Contacts created by admin assistants that are no longer here are the ones having the problem.  The theory makes sense, but not sure why it would start all of a sudden happening now.  The contacts themselves have been in his contact list for yearrrrrrrrs.
0
Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 

Author Comment

by:ExecTech24
ID: 38963225
Orphaned delegates are causing this issue.  Does anyone know a way to eliminate orphaned delegates?
0
 
LVL 14

Expert Comment

by:luconsta
ID: 38965073
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
ExecTech24 earned 0 total points
ID: 38977940
Great news. It seems as though the contacts that are effected are those where the delegate that created the contact doesn't have an exchange mailbox.

It wasn't enough to reenable the mailbox.  We had to
1. Reenable the active directory account
2. Add an actual email account to the mailbox
3. Unhide the account in the GAL

Then go into the screwed up contacts, and open one of the effected ones. Then save and close it again.  Fixed.

Any contact you open and resave will be fixed but if you hide the mailbox from GAL the pop up appears again.

For example:
Steve Urkel contact is fixed if I open it and save it again.
hide or kill the mailbox and the contact is still fixed.

But if you hide/kill the mailbox and go to another effected contact the problem is there.

So basically, I have to reenable the mailboxes, add email accounts, and unhide them from GAL, then go into the user's contacts and open & resave over 700 contacts, then kill the mailboxes associated.
UGH.
0

Featured Post

Microsoft Certification Exam 74-409

Veeam® is happy to provide the Microsoft community with a study guide prepared by MVP and MCT, Orin Thomas. This guide will take you through each of the exam objectives, helping you to prepare for and pass the examination.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Read this checklist to learn more about the 15 things you should never include in an email signature.
If you troubleshoot Outlook for clients, you may want to know a bit more about the OST file before doing your next job. IMAP can cause a lot of drama if removed in the accounts without backing up.
Get people started with the process of using Access VBA to control Outlook using automation, Microsoft Access can control other applications. An example is the ability to programmatically talk to Microsoft Outlook. Using automation, an Access applic…
Many of my clients call in with monstrous Gmail overloading issues with Outlook. A quick tip is to turn off the All Mail and Important folders from synching. Here is a quick video I made to show you how to turn off these and other folders in Gmail s…

696 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question