Solved

Users are Prompted for UserName & Password After Exchange 2010 Cross Site Database Switchover

Posted on 2012-12-28
5
434 Views
Last Modified: 2013-01-29
I've deployed Exchange 2010 across 2 sites and I'm currently piloting with other members of the technology team.  I've had a number of issues where users are prompted for their credencials after a failover.  I was able to resolve most of these by depoying the GPO templates to disable the RPC/HTTP stuff on the internal Outlook clients.  This seems to have completely fixed the problem for in-site switchovers, but we still get some of these problems after a cross-site switchovers.  It's not exactly consistent, sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't.

We only have hardware load balancers in each location no geo-LB's.  I'm thinking that might be part of the problem when the original CAS Array issues the wrong server response it's technically a new connection coming into the CAS Array in the site I just switched the DB into.

The DAG settings do not allow cross site RPCClientAccess, and since I'm using SP2 RU4 I think the expected default behavior should be the Outlook profile reconfigures based on the wrong server response and subsequent discovery attemp.  What I'm wondering is if the prompts are expected behavior given our isolated (non-geo) load balancers?

This is obviously a complicated topic and the parameters have changed as 2010 has been updated, but if any one can shed some light on this or perhaps point me to other resources MS or not I that would be great.

Thanks.
0
Comment
Question by:nashiooka
  • 3
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 31

Expert Comment

by:MegaNuk3
ID: 38729735
Try useWindowsUserCredentials=1 reg key on a couple outlook 2007/2010 clients and then do the cross site failover and see if the prompts are gone.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956531
0
 
LVL 10

Author Comment

by:nashiooka
ID: 38730086
Thanks for your reply.  I'm going to test in the morning, and will let you know if it works.
0
 
LVL 31

Expert Comment

by:MegaNuk3
ID: 38730450
OK
0
 
LVL 10

Accepted Solution

by:
nashiooka earned 0 total points
ID: 38814618
I can not say for certain the registry had any affect.  What I did discover was that group policies that were used to disable the RPC/HTTP stuff on the internal Outlook clients were not being applied to some workstations. After correcting that the behavior looked to be as expected.  Cross-site DB*overs asked the user to restart Outlook, while in-site DB*overs only caused a momentary disconnect.
0
 
LVL 10

Author Closing Comment

by:nashiooka
ID: 38830303
It's not completely clear the other suggested solutions did anything at all.  Looks like this one was figured out before it was asked and there were extenuating circumstances, having less to do with Exchange and more to do with AD.
0

Featured Post

Announcing the Most Valuable Experts of 2016

MVEs are more concerned with the satisfaction of those they help than with the considerable points they can earn. They are the types of people you feel privileged to call colleagues. Join us in honoring this amazing group of Experts.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Suggested Solutions

This article explains in simple steps how to renew expiring Exchange Server Internal Transport Certificate.
This article explains how to install and use the NTBackup utility that comes with Windows Server.
This video discusses moving either the default database or any database to a new volume.
This video demonstrates how to sync Microsoft Exchange Public Folders with smartphones using CodeTwo Exchange Sync and Exchange ActiveSync. To learn more about CodeTwo Exchange Sync and download the free trial, go to: http://www.codetwo.com/excha…

829 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question