Why Experts Exchange?

Experts Exchange always has the answer, or at the least points me in the correct direction! It is like having another employee that is extremely experienced.

Jim Murphy
Programmer at Smart IT Solutions

When asked, what has been your best career decision?

Deciding to stick with EE.

Mohamed Asif
Technical Department Head

Being involved with EE helped me to grow personally and professionally.

Carl Webster
CTP, Sr Infrastructure Consultant
Ask ANY Question

Connect with Certified Experts to gain insight and support on specific technology challenges including:

Professional Opinions
Ask a Question
Did You Know?

We've partnered with two important charities to provide clean water and computer science education to those who need it most. READ MORE

troubleshooting Question

Receiving Error When Attempting to Add User | SBS 2011

Avatar of jaredr80
jaredr80Flag for United States of America asked on
ExchangeSBSActive Directory
20 Comments1 Solution4647 ViewsLast Modified:
Hello All-

On a clients system when I went to create a user, I received two cryptic errors within the SBS console (Unexpected Error & MessageManagement).

When I dug down into the adduser log, I came across this error:

Connecting to remote server servername failed with the following error message : The WinRM client cannot process the request. The WinRM client tried to use Negotiate authentication mechanism, but the destination computer (SERVERNAME:80) returned an 'access denied' error. Change the configuration to allow Negotiate authentication mechanism to be used or specify one of the authentication mechanisms supported by the server. To use Kerberos, specify the local computer name as the remote destination. Also verify that the client computer and the destination computer are joined to a domain. To use Basic, specify the local computer name as the remote destination, specify Basic authentication and provide user name and password. Possible authentication mechanisms reported by server: For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

I did some searching online and came across two articles that were not much help as all checked out on this server.

This error does not seem to be affecting anything except the creation of users in the SBS console, when it gets to the creation of the exchange account. Nothing to my knowledge has changed on the server, with the exception of a few group policies and group membership changes.

System is SBS 2011, all up-to-date.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Avatar of jaredr80
jaredr80Flag of United States of America image

Our community of experts have been thoroughly vetted for their expertise and industry experience.

This problem has been solved!
Unlock 1 Answer and 20 Comments.
See Answers