Solved

Domain Controller un - DCPROMO failed

Posted on 2013-01-02
3
827 Views
Last Modified: 2013-01-02
We have a domain controller showing up in AD that doesn't exist (we tried to remove it with DCpromo weeks ago). Apparently the DCpromo partially failed when we tried to remove it. Is there a step by step guide somewhere that tells you of all the places you may need to delete it in ASDIedit?

The old server was Server 2003 (R2?), while most of our new servers are 2008 R2, but AD is still in 2003 mode.
0
Comment
Question by:cajx
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
3 Comments
 
LVL 57

Accepted Solution

by:
Mike Kline earned 300 total points
ID: 38737011
You need to go through and cleanup the metadata (i.e. metadata cleanup).   From the 2008 DC just delete the old DC's computer object.  Metadata is a lot easier these days

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc816907(v=ws.10).aspx

You can still go through and use ntdsutil to try and cleanup if you want (that method still works)

Thanks


Mike
0
 
LVL 18

Assisted Solution

by:Sarang Tinguria
Sarang Tinguria earned 200 total points
ID: 38737050
Make sure no FSMO roles are there on DC in question
Run netdom query fsmo to check the same, If you find the roles are there on old server you can seize them to working DC

Seize FSMO role:
http://www.petri.co.il/seizing_fsmo_roles.htm

If you are using ntdsutil to cleanup metadata below link illustrates all the location where entries of DC's are maintained and should be cleaned in such cases
Metadata cleanup:
http://www.petri.co.il/delete_failed_dcs_from_ad.htm

If that old DC still online you may run forceremoval to demote the DC role from that sever


Forcefull removal of DC:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/332199 (2003)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc731871(v=ws.10).aspx (2008)
0
 

Author Comment

by:cajx
ID: 38737062
Thanks, it looks like that is going to do the trick. Now I'm going to go through DNS and see if I can find any entries in there. I've found that opening the actual text file in a next editor and searching that way is by far the easiest way to do that.
0

Featured Post

How Do You Stack Up Against Your Peers?

With today’s modern enterprise so dependent on digital infrastructures, the impact of major incidents has increased dramatically. Grab the report now to gain insight into how your organization ranks against your peers and learn best-in-class strategies to resolve incidents.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

A hard and fast method for reducing Active Directory Administrators members.
Had a business requirement to store the mobile number in an environmental variable. This is just a quick article on how this was done.
This video shows how to use Hyena, from SystemTools Software, to bulk import 100 user accounts from an external text file. View in 1080p for best video quality.
This video shows how to use Hyena, from SystemTools Software, to update 100 user accounts from an external text file. View in 1080p for best video quality.

734 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question