I have an AT&T OPT-E-MAN fiber connection between my 2 remote locations. I have a fiber handoff at each end which I have connected to my switches at each location. I am using powerconnect 6224 at one site and powerconnect 7024 at the other. My intent is to have all traffic which is not destined for the local LAN head over the fiber to my main plant.
So what I have done so far…
- I created a new VLAN on each switch for the fiber port. VLAN 75 and assigned the IP 10.10.75.1 on one switch and 10.10.75.2 on the other switch.
- I am only using static routes on the switches for my other VLAN’s and not using any routing protocols.
- I changed the default route which I used to have set as 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.50.2 which is the IP of my firewall. So that any traffic that is not known, goes out the firewall. Internet and the like… and that of course works as expected.
- I set the default route to 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.75.1 at my remote office (which has the VLAN 75 IP set up as 10.10.75.2) and my traffic between the 2 locations worked fine.
- I could not get the internet traffic to flow over the line though. It would get as far as 10.10.75.2 and drop, according to a tracert.
Any suggestions on how to set this up?