XP login screen takes about 2 minutes before it comes up
Posted on 2013-01-02
I rolled out (imaged) around 60 computers last year all on the domain. Model HP Compaq 6200 pro SFF. I'm slowly getting the odd one now that after the XP splash screen the screen goes black with signal still to the lcd and after ~2 minutes it brings up the login screen and then functions normally During this black screen the hdd light flashes once every second. The OS is XP with SP3 fully patched on all computers. Things I have tried are as follows:
1. Safe mode does the same thing. Stops at MUP.SYS for ~2 minutes then proceeds with login
2. Diagnostic mode does the same as Safe Mode
3. Cleared all events in System and Application and tried it. No warnings or errors.
4. Updated the video driver from HP's website. No change.
5. Unplugged the network cable before turning on. No change. Still 2 minute wait.
About 6 computers do this and I'll probably get another in a few weeks. These computers are all the same so why some do it and some don't I'm not sure. I'm stumped.