Cannot start RRAS
Posted on 2013-01-02
02/01/2012: RRAS was working as expected client was connected to the server, the password used to authenticate had changed. After updating the credentials the VPN connection could not be established. Additionally the windows environment explorer.exe became no response, I was unable to logoff and initiated a force reset. After the server had rebooted it hung at applying user setting... for over 2 hours. I carried out another forced reset, I successfully logon and experienced the following issue
I am experiencing an issue where I am unable to start RRAS. After completing the configure and enable RRAS I receive the following error messages:
An error occurred while trying to start the Routing and Remote Access service on GC01. For more information about the error, see Event Viewer. (Right-click the My Computer icon on your Windows desktop, and then click Manage. In the Computer Management console, click Event Viewer.
Routing and Remote Access cannot be started because of the following error. Please see event log for more information:
The service has returned a service-specific error code. (8007042a)
The two event id's that appear in the event logs are
The Routing and Remote Access service terminated with service-specific error The request is not supported..
The currently configured authentication provider failed to load and initialize successfully. The request is not supported.
I have carried out the following trouble shooting steps:
1. Removed Network Policy Services role, rebooted server, re added Network Policy Services role with Remote access service & Routing.
2. Registered the oledb32.dll and oledb32r.dll in the C:\Program Files\Common Files\System\Oel DB directory
3. Ensured all dependent services are running
4. Manually start service - below error message received:
The Routing and Remote Access service on <SERVER> started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs.
5. Disabled IPv6 via adding the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters \ and adding the DisableComponents ffffffff
OS: Server 2008 r2 SP1 Standard running AD
NIC: 4x gigabit ( 3 disabled ) Static internal IP address
AV: Trend Micro
Any additional troubleshooting procedures would be greatly appreciated.