Want to win a PS4? Go Premium and enter to win our High-Tech Treats giveaway. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

php generated Excel Issue

Posted on 2013-01-03
5
Medium Priority
?
355 Views
Last Modified: 2013-01-03
We have a php program that generates a report from the database & creates an Excel Spreadsheet. The program runs multiple times per day & has been working for over a year.

Yesterday, I made some minor changes in the logic that generates the rows under specific conditions. The program now fails in IE & Chrome. In FireFox, it works. The program is attached.

In IE & Chrome, Excel issues the message in the attached image called rpt-error-ie.jpg. When you click OK, nothing happens.

In FireFox, you get SOMETIMES the message called rpt-error-ff,jpg and SOMETIMES you get the other one.

In FireFox, in BOTH cases, if you click OK, the report opens correctly in Excel. When geneated in IE or Chrome, it DOES not do anything.

Note that the message I called rep-error-ff has occurred in ALL 3 browsers always since the beginning. Clicking OK always works.

I recognize that the message is created by Excel.

Why is this happening?
rpt-error-ie.jpg
rpt-error-ff.jpg
report1.php
0
Comment
Question by:Richard Korts
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 3
  • 2
5 Comments
 
LVL 84

Accepted Solution

by:
Dave Baldwin earned 2000 total points
ID: 38741270
Compare it to your backup copy and see what has changed.  Or just restore your backup copy.
0
 

Author Comment

by:Richard Korts
ID: 38741330
I had already restored the backup & it works. I will do a compare; but I added code so it will be different.
0
 
LVL 84

Expert Comment

by:Dave Baldwin
ID: 38741481
Do you have WinMerge?  It makes the comparison task very easy.  http://winmerge.org/
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:Richard Korts
ID: 38742301
WinMerge is a SUPERB tool! Found it right away.

FYI, I had put the Excel extension at "xlxs" on the new one; It was "xls" on the old (working) one.

I changed the new to xls; works like a charm!!

I guess the "marriage" between HTML "content type" & Excel is limited. As far as I know, my customer has the latest Excel; but maybe not.

Thanks & Happy New Year!
0
 
LVL 84

Expert Comment

by:Dave Baldwin
ID: 38742383
You're welcome, glad to help.
0

Featured Post

Concerto Cloud for Software Providers & ISVs

Can Concerto Cloud Services help you focus on evolving your application offerings, while delivering the best cloud experience to your customers? From DevOps to revenue models and customer support, the answer is yes!

Learn how Concerto can help you.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

When crafting your “Why Us” page, there are a plethora of pitfalls to avoid. Follow these five tips, and you’ll be well on your way to creating an effective page.
Access developers frequently have requirements to interact with Excel (import from or output to) in their applications.  You might be able to accomplish this with the TransferSpreadsheet and OutputTo methods, but in this series of articles I will di…
This Micro Tutorial demonstrates in Microsoft Excel how to consolidate your marketing data by creating an interactive charts using form controls. This creates cool drop-downs for viewers of your chart to choose from.
Although Jacob Bernoulli (1654-1705) has been credited as the creator of "Binomial Distribution Table", Gottfried Leibniz (1646-1716) did his dissertation on the subject in 1666; Leibniz you may recall is the co-inventor of "Calculus" and beat Isaac…
Suggested Courses

609 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question