We are merging with another company and need some help figuring out the best way to change email addresses over to the new company while still being able to accept email to the original company for awhile. Looking for the EASIEST way for accomplish this quickly, even if it's an interim solution.
Scenario - Company 1 (AP) will be changing name to Company 2 (LS)
Company 1 (AP)
Has SBS 2008 server with Exchange 2007
Internal domain = ap.local (I realize we can't change this and will leave as is)
External domain = ap.com
Uses MXLogic for spam filtering
Uses RWW and OWA
Company 2 (LS)
Has outsourced IT. Don't know much about this yet...will talk to them this week
Email on Exchange (not sure version) hosted at outsourced IT company
External Domain name = ls.com (has hosted website that needs to stay intact)
After doing a little research, here's what we've come up with. We'd like to see if we're thinking along the right lines and whether or not there is an easier/better way to accomplish this.
Change AP email addresses to LS
1. Determine size of LS mailboxes and verify space on AP SBS 2008 server
2. Add ls.com to AP SBS 2008 server using following procedures
3. Address SSL certificate for LS.com - do we even need the AP SSL anymore if just receiving email with this domain? If not, we can just run Add a Trusted Certificate to add ls.com SSL certificate?
4. Add LS users to AD on AP SBS 2008 server
5. Figure out how to add LS.com at MXLogic and move AP users over to this
a. Configure to pass through to AP SBS 2008 Exchange server
b. Can we have one MXLogic for AP and one for LS and both go to AP SBS 2008?
6. Add LS users to MXLogic
7. Change MX records at LS Domain registrar to point to MXLogic
a. need to research and address downtime for current LS email users
8. Setup LS clients – Outlook Anywhere (will not need this after VPN is setup and LS clients joined to domain
9. Export LS users mailboxes (Find procedures for this)
10. Import LS users mailboxes into AP SBS 2008 Exchange (See link above for procedures)
11. Change AP employees email signature to include FKA AP
12. Address/verify OWA and RWW connectivity – when you add ls.com to SBS 2008, it makes it the primary domain. Does it also make it the domain? used for RWW and OWA
a. Use ls.com? (NEED to make sure ls.com still goes to LS website (ls.com host IP))
i. Create zones (remote.ls.com and ? (check AP Domain registrar for others)) at ls.com DNS registrar and point to AP external IP address
13. What does this look like for AP employees with two mailboxes? How to switch back and forth in Outlook? When we are done with AP email address, can we merge AP and LS mailboxes?
Thanks for any help.