UEFI Motherboard incompatable with Windows 7 or 2008 R2 boot repair option
Posted on 2013-01-11
As you all know, the popularity of motherboards on the market with UEFI instead of the traditional BIOS is growing rapidly. I could hardly find a mid-range workstation motherboard with BIOS. I am managing multiple systems in our facility that have these UEFI Motherboards. I have found that only some windows install discs work with them. I have need to boot from the Windows 7 or Windows Server 3008 R2 discs and run the built-in repair options. But they don't work with UEFI systems.
Here are the points:
1. When attempting to install Windows 7 or Windows 2008 R2 for the first time fails at the HD Format page. The problem only occurs when using the OS boot Disc with SP1 embedded. This is a burned Microsoft ISO downloaded from our Volume License Agreement site, it's the latest official version of Win7 and Win 2008 R2. The problem is that it doesn't recognize any HD's at the HD format section of the windows install (and none are in the list) when I provide the correct driver via flash drive it accepts the driver, but still fails to show the HD.
2. When I use a Factory produced Windows 7 Pro Disc with no Service Packs it works fine. This was not downloaded from the Microsoft VLK Site.
3. Once I get windows on the system and apply the service packs and want to run a boot Disc repair, I cannot. Two reasons: I can't repair an OS with SP1 with a Boot Disc that doesn't have SP1 on it. So of course when I place my Microsoft VLK Win7 w/ SP1 in to boot, it fails at the repair option with an error.
Here is what I have deduced:
1. A factory manufactured Windows 7 Pro Disc without SP1 on it works fine for install and repair to UEFI systems.
2. The burned DVD from the FLK site with SP1 on it does not work with UEFI.
3. I need to create an ISO that has the correct EFI files on it so I can install with SP1 and repair an OS with SP1 on it.
4. I have an ISO Utility that allows me to edit and save ISO files, that can then be burned.
Does anyone have any ideas about how to solve this problem? Am i the only one that has encountered it?