Solved

Broken Sharepoint 2010 Foundation Search "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

Posted on 2013-01-15
3
839 Views
Last Modified: 2013-01-20
We renamed our Sharepoint server which I followed the Technet articles on with no real issues.  However, I discovered that the search was not returning any results and in the event logs it was still referencing the old Sharepoint name.

So I followed the instructions at http://plexhosted.blogspot.ca/2011/11/how-to-fix-sharepoint-foundation-2010.html but nothing changed, search results were still completely empty.

I decided to stop the SharePoint Foundation search from within the SharePoint Central Administration which is supposed to delete the search database and recreate it which it prompted me it was going to do and I hit ok.

Now I am trying to restart the Search service within Central Administration and it throws up the "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error, I get the same error when I click on the actual service name link itself too.  When I try and do a search in SharePoint now it comes back with, "Your search cannot be completed because this site is not assigned to an indexer".  When I go to the content database, the search server is blank but it is grey'ed out and I can't choose a server.  The Foundation Search timer job is also gone now.

I can stop and restart the service fine in the Windows services console no problem however it only works now with the Local System account and not the spSearch account I created earlier.

There's no errors in the event logs except for the service stopping and restarting so I have very little to reference.  I'd really appreciate any help as I've trawled through numerous websites to no avail.
0
Comment
Question by:convergint
  • 2
3 Comments
 
LVL 10

Assisted Solution

by:Mohit Nair
Mohit Nair earned 500 total points
ID: 38780814
Dont try stopping or starting the search service from windows services console as it should automatically start once you start the service from central admin. Keep the service in stopped state and then try unprovisioning and then reprovisioning search service through stsadm command.

Try psconfig wizard if it doesnt helps.
0
 
LVL 10

Accepted Solution

by:
convergint earned 0 total points
ID: 38781421
Figured it out, had to run the stsadm command to restart and rebuild the search database.  Syntax is:

stsadm -o spsearch -action start -farmserviceaccount [domain_account] -farmservicepassword [domain_account_password]
0
 
LVL 10

Author Closing Comment

by:convergint
ID: 38798129
Did more research online and found a blog explaining the procedure.
0

Featured Post

Free Tool: SSL Checker

Scans your site and returns information about your SSL implementation and certificate. Helpful for debugging and validating your SSL configuration.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Last week I faced a strange issue recently, i have deployed SharePoint 2003 servers for one project and one of the requirements was to open SharePoint site from same server. when i was trying to open site from the same server i was getting authentic…
Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2010 and Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 do not offer the option to configure the location of the SharePoint diagnostic trace log files during installation.  This can, however, be configured through Central Administr…
Email security requires an ever evolving service that stays up to date with counter-evolving threats. The Email Laundry perform Research and Development to ensure their email security service evolves faster than cyber criminals. We apply our Threat…

685 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question