hi (im not sure if im going crazy)!!
ive setup a new windows 2003 domain & have added a single pc to the domain as i normally do.
im sure before i set gpo's, i should be able to logon via my xp desktop and physically access my 'tcp/ip properties', but i cannot as it states:
"Some of the controls on this property sheet are disabled because you do not have sufficient privileges to access or change them"
note: im sure i was able to access physically my 'tcp/ip properties', but later after messing around with my gpo settings i then was not able to access the 'tcp/ip properties', but i cannot remember. so either way i did the following:
my attempted resolution:
- removed xp desktop from the domain
- logged back onto xp desktop as 'admin' & removed profile account via right click my computer, advanced tab & selected 'user profiles' & i then confirmed the account was also removed from: c:\documents & settings & it was. (somehow im not sure what i did i must have created a simular user name ie almost identical), which i also deleted to make sure
- i then rebooted the machine & logged back on as the 'admin' to confirm user account entries were still deleted & they were.
- logged onto master dc & removed
- opened gpmc & deleted group policy
- opened aduc - deleted xp machine & deleted 'ou'
- ran gpupdate & gpupdate /force & rebooted
- switched master dc back on & checked all entries were still removed - all good
- created clean new user account in 'default user ou container' but did not create a new ou or group policy at this time
- switched xp back on & logged on with admin account
- cmd prompt: ipconfig /all - dhcp successfully allocated address as expected, but i also saw 2 entries in the 'dns suffix for my domain name ie:
step 4 - why is below:
- joined xp pc to domain & followed wizard which asked if i wanted to add the user account under - 'standard user, or restricted or admin' & i selected standard, successfully
- xp desktop then rebooted
- logged on with user account to domain successfully
- right clicked pc icon on taskbar, right clicked & received the above message & saw that 'tcp/ip properties was still dimmed out - why ?
- as the above did not work, i returned to step 1 & created a new 'ou & via gpmc
- logged onto 'aduc' & selected xp desktop & moved to new 'ou' & user account into same 'ou'
- opened up gpmc & created & linked successfully a gpo but did not set any restrictions at this time!!!
- ran gpupdate & gpupdate /force
- logged off desktop
- logged back onto xp desktop via domain successfully
- selected pc icon on taskbar, right clicked & received the above message & saw that 'tcp/ip properties was still dimmed out