Exchange 2010 relocation advice
I have been charged with moving a newly acquired company's Exchange server to my headquarters site.
My company, Co-A, has a separate AD infrastructure (DC,DNS,etc), users, servers, etc. but I am not concerned with establishing trusts or integration of the two companies at this time (unless this will make this project easier). My primary focus is moving Co-B’s email to my physical HQ site. Co-B’s existing server is currently located in a datacenter with a hosting service provider. Exchange is the only service that will be moving at this time. This project is Win2008R2 AD and Exchange 2010.
This project has a quick turnaround need so I am looking for the quickest and easiest way to move Co-B’s email to Co-A’s site. Here is my initial plan:
- Create new network segment for Co-B’s resources at Co-A’s location.
- Establish VPN to Co-B’s host site (where DC/GC and Exchange is located for Co-B) from Co-A.
- Build DC/GC on this new Co-A network segment and establish replication with DC/GC at Co-B’s host site.
- Build new Exchange 2010 server (same revision/patch level as Co-B exch servers) at Co-A. Purchase UC cert for exchange, establish new OWA site at Co-A.
- Migrate mailboxes.
- After all mailboxes have moved: add Co-B’s domains to Co-A’s email gateway and change Co-B’s MX records to point to Co-A’s email gateway.
- Once mailflow is established and stable, move all primary roles for Exchange 2010 Org to new server at Co-A’s site. Decommission Co-B’s original Exch 2010 server.
If you see any missteps, items missing, or items that will be problematic please advise.