Problems upgrading from Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2010
Posted on 2013-01-23
I have a client with four Windows XP workstations that has Outlook 2003 email. I upgraded to new Dell workstations running Window 7 Professional. When exporting the old *.PST file and coping it to the new workstation I only see the old "RECEIVED" emails and it is missing the old "SENT" emails. How I did it is below. Any ideas would be of great help.
For exporting the PST file I did the following
1. Had user log into old workstation.
2. Open email in Outlook 2003.
3. Selected the users personal email folder.
4. Opened the "file" drop down menu and selected "Import and Export" option.
5. The selected "Export to a file" option.
6. Selected the "Personal File Folder" option.
7. Then selected Next button.
8. Then checked the box for include sub folders.
9. Kept the default file name.
10. Because of large email box It took about 5-10 minutes to complete export.
11. I then copied the exported file to thumb drive.
On the new workstation:
1. Had user log into new Dell workstation and opened outlook to find where data file is stored.
2. Closed outlook and renamed exported file to match current *.PST file.
3. Copied renamed .PST file to Outlook data directory.
4. Then had user log into email.
5. When Outlook opens all received folders are present including received emails.
6. The "Sent" folder is empty with all old sent emails missing.
Any ideas on what I am doing wrong or is their some exporting tool or software that does better job exporting .PST files?
Many thanks in advance!