Go Premium for a chance to win a PS4. Enter to Win

x
?
Solved

Exchange 2010 SP1 -> SP2 upgrade issues

Posted on 2013-01-24
9
Medium Priority
?
1,110 Views
Last Modified: 2013-01-28
Hello Exchange experts,

We’re having a bit of an issue:

At the company I work for, we’ve decided to upgrade our Exchange 2010 DAG cluster from service pack 1 to service pack 2 due to a series of strange issues we are having. This upgrade process itself has caused some issues that we’re trying to solve.

The DAG consists of two (CAS & Hub Transport) servers and 2 MailDB servers running on Windows Server 2008 r2.

We started by upgrading the first of our two CAS servers, which caused a few issues, first we had problems with http -> https redirection, because the default website was changed to require ssl.

After this was solved, people were unable to log onto the OWA, which was solved by changing requireSSL in the following line in web.config to false.
<httpCookies httpOnlyCookies="false" requireSSL="false" domain=""/>

After applying this fix, our users were able to log on, and view their email, but when they try certain things  they encounter an error, which says the following  “An unexpected error occurred and your request couldn't be handled.”.

This happens when:

1)      They try to create a new email, or reply to an existing email, and the fields “To:” or “CC:” are activated. That means there is no problem writing text, but the To field cannot be validated, and the mail cannot be sent.
If I press OK to hide the error, I can fill out the “To:” field, but when I then try to send the email the following pops up:
“You need to choose a recipient before this message can be sent.” And underneath that the same error reappears: “An unexpected error occurred and your request couldn't be handled.”.

2)      Accessing Deleted emails causes the error to show up as soon as I enter the Deleted Emails folder. If I click OK, the error shows up every time I change to a different email.

3)      Similarly for Sent items.

4)      Curiously, NOT for the Inbox. I can browse those mails fine.

So the situation right now is that we have one SP2 CAS server that doesn’t work fully, and one SP1 CAS server that works fine, and we’re reluctant to upgrade the other one until the first one is fully functional.

We use a load balancer to switch between them, and have currently disabled the SP2 CAS server in the loadbalancer.
0
Comment
Question by:JetTime
  • 5
  • 4
9 Comments
 
LVL 42

Expert Comment

by:Meir Rivkin
ID: 38813495
did u try install the Update Rollup 3 for Exchange Server 2010 (SP2)?
that might fix your issues:
Update Rollup 3 for Exchange Server 2010 Service Pack 2
0
 

Author Comment

by:JetTime
ID: 38813523
We've installed Update Rollup 5 v2, which did not solve the issue unfortunately.
0
 
LVL 42

Expert Comment

by:Meir Rivkin
ID: 38813535
do you see something on the event viewer?
0
Free learning courses: Active Directory Deep Dive

Get a firm grasp on your IT environment when you learn Active Directory best practices with Veeam! Watch all, or choose any amount, of this three-part webinar series to improve your skills. From the basics to virtualization and backup, we got you covered.

 

Author Comment

by:JetTime
ID: 38813552
Under MSExchange CmdletLogs:

Cmdlet failed. Cmdlet Get-AddressBookPolicy, parameters {Identity=e80b230a-dbcf-4738-a9aa-dd392657af78}.

This only occurred once however.

In contrast, we have a lot of failed authentications in the Windows security auditing event log, but they do not coincide with the errors I encounter, so it does not trigger a log event when I log in, try to write an email and the error shows up - I think its unrelated.
0
 
LVL 42

Assisted Solution

by:Meir Rivkin
Meir Rivkin earned 2000 total points
ID: 38813558
are you using http redirect on iis?
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
JetTime earned 0 total points
ID: 38813559
I've resolved the issue - There was a Redirection loop, so that webmail.oursite.dk redirected to webmail.oursite.dk/owa. However, this redirection was also in place on the /owa site. Disabling it there stopped the issue.
0
 
LVL 42

Expert Comment

by:Meir Rivkin
ID: 38813563
thanks for the points.
0
 

Author Comment

by:JetTime
ID: 38813595
Thank you for assisting - You came up with the correct solution before I posted that I had found it, even if by less than a minute, so it only seems fair you should be awarded for your assistance :)
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:JetTime
ID: 38826228
Browsed google further for similar problems and encountered others who had the same issue due to a redirection loop from http to https, and from standard website to /owa.
0

Featured Post

Get free NFR key for Veeam Availability Suite 9.5

Veeam is happy to provide a free NFR license (1 year, 2 sockets) to all certified IT Pros. The license allows for the non-production use of Veeam Availability Suite v9.5 in your home lab, without any feature limitations. It works for both VMware and Hyper-V environments

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

Steps to fix “Unable to mount database. (hr=0x80004005, ec=1108)”.
If you have come across a situation where you need to find some EDB mailbox recovery techniques, then here you will find the same. In this article, we will take you through three techniques using which you will be able to perform EDB recovery. You …
To add imagery to an HTML email signature, you have two options available to you. You can either add a logo/image by embedding it directly into the signature or hosting it externally and linking to it. The vast majority of email clients display l…
This video discusses moving either the default database or any database to a new volume.
Suggested Courses

783 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question