At my work we manage a convention center. Most of the workers are employees of the facility; but, we do outsource our food and beverage/catering dept. Hence these employees work for another company; but, we give them computers and email accounts and office space so they can work. Anyway, these food/beverage employees have their emails that are sent from their home company automatically forwarded to their emails at my work.
Hence, emails to Jsmith@RestarantNameHere.c
om is automatically forwarded to Jsmith@ConventionCenter.or
g . There have been no problems until about 6 months ago. I upgraded two of these employees to a newer PC and these PC's had Office 2010. Before the PC upgrade these same 2 users were using Windows XP and Office 2007. Since then, these 2 users are not consistently getting their new emails. They usually have to exit out of the outlook client and then re-enter back into it. The other Food And Beverage Employees (that are still using Outlook 2007) are not having this problem.
The other Convention Center employees are not having this problem. The other employees (convention center employees) are just using 1 email, 'firstname.lastname@example.org
rg. Again teh other normal conventin ceenter employees have Windows 7 and Outlook 2010 installed. No one else is having this problem.
The problem was pretty consistent as well, for 1 user, whenever she would not get new emails, I asked her to check the Outlook Web Access (OWA) and the new emails did show up in the OWA. That suggested to me that the problem was with the Outlook Client.
The I un-installed Office and then re-installed Office 2010. I even gave both users new PC's the problem would come back. The only connection was that those users (are using Outlook 2010). The other Restaurant users have not been upgraded yet. The other Restaurant users are still using Office 2007. I evenI changed the network settings (port on switch, ethernet cables, different NIC card) that did not change anything.
Very strange. I did change the settings for send/receive settings for 'All Groups; from 30 minutes to 1 minute and at least for now that seems to have helped.
We will have to monitor it with time to see if that is the fix. But, that is not the standard setting that we have on the other Company Windows Domained PC's. Everyone else has teh 30 minute setting and everyohe else gets emails right away.
My question is, why would these emails not be coming through right away for these users when I upgraded the client software to Outlook 2010? The emails are showing up through the OWA right away (within reason); but, not the Outlook Client. Emails were coming in quickly for these same users before the PC upgrades. I even re-imaged their computers and gave them newer PC's and still the same problem comes back on their PC's. Other company users do not have this problem (the other restarant users are using Office 2007).
The only connection that I see is that these restaurant users have emails automatically forwarded to them from another email address and they are now using Outlook 2010. the other Restaurant employees have emails forwarded to the Convention center email as well; but, the other Restaurant employees are still using Office 2007. We are using Exchange 2007 as well.