Migration DB from SQL server 2005 RTM to SQL server 2008 R2 SP2 (probably with CU4)
Posted on 2013-01-26
we are in the project of migrate SQL server 2005 to SQL server 2008 R2 standard editon and we will upgrade the SQL server 2008 R2 to SP2 and probably CU4.
we thinking about 2 ways to do the data migration:
1) SQL native backup and restore of all system and user database from SQL server 2005 to SQL server 2008 R2.
2) SQL mirror to mirror all DB from SQL server 2005 to SQL server2008 R2. During switch over, we just set mirror partner to off. then we change the SQL server 2008 R2 to be the master.
1) Some SQL server 2005 we are using still RTM edition, can we do choice 1 and 2 ?
2) Some SQL server 2005 we are using still RTM edition ,any known issue when doing this for item 1 and 2?
3) When we backup the master DB from SQL server 2005 to SQL server 2008 R2, we still need to start SQL server 2008 R2 in single user mode ?
4) what is the full command to restore the master DB? after restore master DB, what else we have to do to make sure the SQL server migrated well ?