[Last Call] Learn how to a build a cloud-first strategyRegister Now

x
  • Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 716
  • Last Modified:

Connection Limit Exceeded SBS2003

Small Biz Server 2003 SP2 :::  Exchange stopped working over weekend.  Users getting drive mapping errors, too.  Cannot connect because there are already as many connections as the computer can accept.  ???  This is a server.  Everyone has a cal.  It has worked for years and now all of a sudden no connection?  The admins can always connect.  

I checked the limit.  It was set to Max Allowed so I set it to 100 just in case the max allowed was too small - not sure why, it was never too small.  I eliminated several (>20) unused accounts that were disabled.  These are mapped connections, not RDPs.  After restart, some could use their Y:\Departments folder and could get their email now but others could not.

NOTE :::  I RDP'd to a user's machine.  My resources were available from their "Computer".  I selected the "Departments" folder on my machine from theirs and I was able to see it.  I also tried to open the server share from inside Word but got the same message.
0
jdfuller
Asked:
jdfuller
  • 3
  • 3
  • 2
1 Solution
 
foxpc123Commented:
Does this have ISA Installed - not sure if this will help;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927099
0
 
foxpc123Commented:
Could you also check server management and licensing to see how many CAL's you have?
0
 
foxpc123Commented:
sorry ignore the CAL question above - can see you've already stated this.
0
Independent Software Vendors: We Want Your Opinion

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

 
jdfullerAuthor Commented:
I can ALWAYS connect to the departments folder if I log on as an admin.  Also, if I make the user and admin, he's ok.  As I said this was working fine for all users before this weekend.  I am filtering the event logs for peculiarities.
0
 
Don S.Commented:
Check to see that your client license is actually still recognized by SBS.  I recently had a case where the server "lost" it's cals after MS updates and reboot.  After re-adding the CALs, connections were restored.
0
 
jdfullerAuthor Commented:
SOLUTION :::  In the event log, SBcore failure.  Disk FUll (log file encroachment on boot OS drive).  This morning noticed disk full and went directly to W3C log files and deleted and regained 50% of disk space.  Later went back to error and noticed that the CAL Lic file corrupted.  Used license manager to re-input all CALS.

Working now.
0
 
Don S.Commented:
If you have any iPads connecting to your exchange server, they have a tendancy of filling up the IIS w3c log files very quickly!  but that's another discussion.
0
 
jdfullerAuthor Commented:
Simple.  Right under the nose.  Licenses were good BUT the file was corrupt and so had to reinput all!  

Lesson here is keep a cool head and try the simple stuff FIRST not last!

:o)
0

Featured Post

Upgrade your Question Security!

Add Premium security features to your question to ensure its privacy or anonymity. Learn more about your ability to control Question Security today.

  • 3
  • 3
  • 2
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now