My ~2-year-old 1.5 TB SATA HDD seems to have died on me.
- It's still detectable in BIOS
- Windows XP starts up extremely slowly in comparison to without the HDD connected. Windows Explorer refuses to open when the problem HDD is connected.
- Using the Win XP CD, the Recovery Console can't seem to detect it.
- Using an external HDD dock, it generally still can't be detected. When it does, it says something like "the HDD needs to be formatted, do it now? (Y/N)"
- I believe I heard the click-click sound a few times before it died on me.
- What are the chances of recovery by a professional company? Anyone can give a rough estimate before I waste my time sending it in only to be told it's not possible?