I have a home office Active Directory domain setup with two domain controllers and each DC is a DNS/DHCP server as well. I have the first DNS server setup to point to itself (actual IP address as opposed to 127) and the secondary points to the secondary DNS server.
The second DNS server's DNS settings are: first DNS server points to DNS server A and the secondary DNS server points to DNS server B (which is itself).
I have forwarders setup to point to 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124 which is Google's DNS servers.
How I uncovered the slow browsing was changing my computer's DNS servers to point at Googles. Upon doing this pages load instantly as opposed to taking 3-5 seconds before loading
Here are some problems I'm having, obviously slow browsing. Second is from my computer when I try to do a nslookup to amazon.com, google.com, various other domains, more often than not the initial request times out and then if I try again it'll go through.
Unfortunately it looks like I did not have DNS scavange stale records turned on but it is now enabled.
The two DNS servers are setup to be active directory integrated zones. It's the basic default that is created when you setup DNS for the first time.
DNS request timed out.
timeout was 2 seconds.
*** Request to blah.blah.local timed-out
This is what I am getting right after I notice a site is really slow to load and then doing a nslookup.
Ok so another bit of info is that if I am going to a new page I haven't gone to in a while, say news.com which I never go to and either browse to the page or do a nslookup, it'll either be slow when browsing and then again nslookup will timeout as it's trying to obtain the DNS info.
As it stands I've removed the forwarders from my two DNS servers and only have the two DNS servers pointing to each other.