?
Solved

SQL Server 2012 Auditing

Posted on 2013-02-01
4
Medium Priority
?
294 Views
Last Modified: 2013-02-09
I am trying to see what is causing an application connection to switch databases once connected. The custom app I have is to write to any database that I type into it with the designated credentials. When I connect to the SQL Server instance, I have a db1 and a db1_dev. I want to write to the db1_dev when connecting with the app, and the app does successfully connect, but then it writes to table1. I tested the app by entering a database name that doesn't exist and then it doesn't connect....so that indicates to me that the app is initially passing in the database name value that I am giving it, however somewhere in SQLServer 2012, it is defaulting back to db1. What can be done to troubleshoot the SQL Server to see what is causing the issue?
0
Comment
Question by:DB-aha
[X]
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2
4 Comments
 
LVL 51

Accepted Solution

by:
Mark Wills earned 500 total points
ID: 38846065
Sounds a bit like the remnants of a previous connection has become hard coded.

What language are you using and we can add those Topic Areas to your question and get some developer help.
0
 
LVL 25

Assisted Solution

by:TempDBA
TempDBA earned 500 total points
ID: 38847515
Check the code what you are using for writing into the table, but not the connection string. I think in the insert statement, you have older database name hardcoded. Or if you are trying to insert via a view\stored procedure which inturn is pointing to the old database.
0
 
LVL 1

Assisted Solution

by:DB-aha
DB-aha earned 0 total points
ID: 38852644
Thanks for the advice, however I had no access to the application to be able to review it myself, I simply had only access to the database. What was required on my end was to open SQL Profiler and view the queries sent by the application. When doing so I was able to identify that the insert statement contained what appeared to be hard coded database. The application developer then looked at the queries and changed the database name in the application into a variable.
0
 
LVL 1

Author Closing Comment

by:DB-aha
ID: 38870834
My comment contains what was actually done to troubleshoot. While the other comments provided did not provide ant SQL Troubleshooting techniques.
0

Featured Post

Optimize your web performance

What's in the eBook?
- Full list of reasons for poor performance
- Ultimate measures to speed things up
- Primary web monitoring types
- KPIs you should be monitoring in order to increase your ROI

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

This is basically a blog post I wrote recently. I've found that SARGability is poorly understood, and since many people don't read blogs, I figured I'd post it here as an article. SARGable is an adjective in SQL that means that an item can be fou…
In this article I will describe the Backup & Restore method as one possible migration process and I will add the extra tasks needed for an upgrade when and where is applied so it will cover all.
Add bar graphs to Access queries using Unicode block characters. Graphs appear on every record in the color you want. Give life to numbers. Hopes this gives you ideas on visualizing your data in new ways ~ Create a calculated field in a query: …
In this video, Percona Solution Engineer Rick Golba discuss how (and why) you implement high availability in a database environment. To discuss how Percona Consulting can help with your design and architecture needs for your database and infrastr…

777 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question