Dead xbox hard drive
Posted on 2013-02-01
I have an original XBOX (v1.4) with a trashed hard drive.
Was working a year or so ago. But when I recently was testing a batch of controller (wired and wireless) for young second cousins to play on when they visit, it started loading the Console really slow (like 20 minutes) after I had turned it off for a couple of hours, after playing a race car game.
Going through the Settings took about 5-10 minutes per setting, but about half way through the Networking section, it would speed up to normal again. But still take forever to Exit out.Erro
Let it sit for a month, and now after some more testing I get mostly Error 9 and Error 7 .
I got a few other errors, and a couple of times it tried to load the Console, but to keep this short, I have come to the conclusion the platters are bad, since the computer bios can still see it.
- I have a 10gig hard drive I can use.
- I don't have a backup, and don't think I can recover anything from this drive (but I have a few more things to try).
- I have done some reading and have collected a selection of tuts and software. But am not sure I have everything (something about a .BIN file for a completely fresh HD?)
- I have another Xbox (probably 1.1?) at my disposal.
- SoftMod is OK, as I was thinking of making it a media device sooner or later.
So my question:
After seeing the selection of options out there, what the quickest and\or easiest way to get this back up and running?
If you need any more info, feel free to ask.