We're attempting to migrate an SBS Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008 Standard, using this process:
We've used this process successfully in the past.
However, this time, the DCPROMO is not completing. The error occurs after we enter Network Credentials and do the domain search. We can see the domain in the search, but when we click "Next," we get the following error:
"To install a domain controller into this Active Directory forest, you must first prepare the forest using adprep /forestprep..." etc.
The thing is, we have already run ADPREP on the SBS 2003 box.
- ADPREP /forestprep ran 100% successfully - no errors.
- domainprep, gpprep, and rodcprep were also successful.
- The functional forest and domain level have been elevated to 2003 -- all good with that.
- The Active Directory Service Binaries are installed on the Windows 2008 box.
- We are attempting this while logged in as Domain/Schema Admin on the Windows 2008 box.
- We have also attempted this as the Local Admin with the same error.
- We have tried using both "current logged on credentials" and "Alternate credentials" with Domain/Schema Admin account.
Why is the Windows 2008 box failing mid-way through the DCPROMO, with an error about ADPREP, when ADPREP is all good on SBS 2003?
- We have