I currently have a SharePoint calendar with a customized form used to enter new calendar items that track projects that my business is working on. That custom form has additions to the standard form, such as:
1. A project ID that the user manually inputs.
2. Any special tools required for the project (a list of tools with a checkbox next to each that I hardcoded into the form)
3. Personnel working on the project (a list of people with a checkbox next to each, also hardcoded into the form).
4. Several other custom properties similar to the tools and personnel ones I mentioned.
Sometimes, projects don’t get finished within the originally scheduled time so folks have to make another calendar item for a later date to track the rest of the project. When the user creates that second calendar item, I’d like him or her to have the following experience:
1. Click the “new” button to create a new calendar item.
2. Enter the project ID from the previous calendar item
3. All of the custom fields (like the tools and personnel field I mentioned above) get automatically filled out using the values from the first calendar item.
4. User clicks “OK” button to save the calendar item.
I’m not a SharePoint expert, we are using http://companyweb
from a small business server installation that I migrated to a standalone SharePoint foundation 2010 server a while back. If it’s possible to do this in a simple manner and without custom code, that would be awesome. If not, it would still be great to hear how it’s done and I’ll do my best.
Thanks in advance for your help