offline address book not updating/syncronizing to Outlook cache mode

Posted on 2013-02-04
Last Modified: 2013-03-19
I'm unable to update any of my Outlook 2010 and 2007 clients offline address books.  If I blow out their profile and re-sync they get current / new addresses, however, if a user is added they are not updated.  It works just fine in non-cache mode and OWA.  The 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V14\ExchangeOAB' folder is showing not updated in a month.  Any ideas?
Question by:gopher_49
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions

Author Comment

ID: 38853057
I'm running Exchange 2010.  These steps are for Exchange 2003 when pertaining to the server.

Expert Comment

ID: 38853088
My mistake, I copied and pasted the wrong link.  Here is what I meant to send you.  It deals with issues with the OAB downloading after simplifying the OWA URL.  Worth checking out:

Also, here is another as it relates to generating the OAB:
Are your AD admin tools letting you down?

Managing Active Directory can get complicated.  Often, the native tools for managing AD are just not up to the task.  The largest Active Directory installations in the world have relied on one tool to manage their day-to-day administration tasks: Hyena. Start your trial today.


Expert Comment

ID: 38853911

See the below link for Exchange 2010 OAB GAL not updating

This link also contains entire documentation in PDF format with screenshots to help.

Author Comment

ID: 38855007
I'll try these after hours today.  I don't messing with Exchange 2010 during production hour due to my lack of knowledge.  I'll update the ticket tomorrow.


Accepted Solution

I Qasmi earned 500 total points
ID: 38864507
check whether OAB is properly generated on the server.
Also it is added to the mailbox store as well properties.

Then check the distribution enabled or not through OWA  / Public folder etc.
Update once again the default OAB list and check the events whether it is generated completely or not as the events display it OAB sync completed succesfully,.

Then Intimate the Outlook users to use online mode and redownload the Full OAB which u can do and then follow what is mentioned above "

Also, here is another as it relates to generating the OAB:

Author Comment

ID: 38996095

After reviewing your links I noticed that I had an old exchange server as the OAB server?!  I moved it to the new Exchange 2010 server... Then everything worked.


Featured Post

Free Tool: SSL Checker

Scans your site and returns information about your SSL implementation and certificate. Helpful for debugging and validating your SSL configuration.

One of a set of tools we are providing to everyone as a way of saying thank you for being a part of the community.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

A list of top three free exchange EDB viewers that helps the user to extract a mailbox from an unmounted .edb file and get a clear preview of all emails & other items with just a single click on mailboxes.
This article will help to fix the below errors for MS Exchange Server 2013 I. Certificate error "name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site" II. Out of Office not working III. Make Internal URLs and Externa…
To show how to generate a certificate request in Exchange 2013. We show this process by using the Exchange Admin Center. Log into Exchange Admin Center.:  First we need to log into the Exchange Admin Center. Navigate to the Servers >> Certificates…
This video shows how to quickly and easily add an email signature for all users on Exchange 2016. The resulting signature is applied on a server level by Exchange Online. The email signature template has been downloaded from: www.mail-signatures…
Suggested Courses
Course of the Month10 days, 1 hour left to enroll

624 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question