• Status: Solved
  • Priority: Medium
  • Security: Public
  • Views: 691
  • Last Modified:

Notes client 8.5.3 first line of received html Japanese emails has corrupted text

We recently upgraded our notes clients to version 8.5.3.  We are experiencing a strange problem.  If we receive an external html email in the Japanese language, the first line, and only the first line,  of the message body is corrupted. eg the Japanese salutation ¿¿¿¿¿¿¿  becomes corrupted to ¦$BA4 .

If we look at the same email on the mail server or an a blackberry device, it looks fine without any corruption.  The corruption seems to occur during the process of local replication.  We never experienced this with prior versions of notes.

I think its a bug in notes. Has anyone else seen this or have any ideas on how to fix it?
0
chinguetti
Asked:
chinguetti
  • 4
  • 4
  • 3
1 Solution
 
Sjef BosmanGroupware ConsultantCommented:
Ohayo,

Maybe there's an encoding problem at the sender's, or a decoding problem at your end. What do you see when you view the source of the mail? Is the content encoding correctly set?

By the way, I'm not familiar with this problem...
0
 
chinguettiAuthor Commented:
I dont think its an encoding on the senders side because the email is perfect when viewed on the mailbox stored on the server.   Do you know how I can check the source in Notes 8.5.3?  I think the coding is OK, because the emails are always OK except the very first line....
0
 
Sjef BosmanGroupware ConsultantCommented:
To see the source in Notes, open the mail and click View/Show/Page Source.

How exactly do you view the mail on the mailbox on the server? Also with Notes? The same Notes client and PC?
If that's the case, you have some options:
- get a different PC with Notes and your id, make a local replica of your mail database and open the mail
- remove your local replica and fetch a new one, then try to read the mail
- and more of the same idea
0
Concerto's Cloud Advisory Services

Want to avoid the missteps to gaining all the benefits of the cloud? Learn more about the different assessment options from our Cloud Advisory team.

 
akhafafCommented:
Hi there chinguetti,,,

Do all users have this problem ????

Did you think about installing the latest fix pack of Lotus Domino

http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd%5Cfixlist.nsf/WhatsNew/2d0360dc7479a29585257a07006ae8a7?OpenDocument
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24032242

Arigato gozaio  mas
0
 
chinguettiAuthor Commented:
Dear Akhafafa

It affects all users running Win7 with Japanese language pack installed plus Notes 8.5.3 client (+ Fixpack 2).  We did some more tests,   only the first 64 characters of the message are corrupted.    Thanks for the links,  I tried to install Fixpack 3, but it did not help.


Dear Sjef

Notes 8.5.3 forces the user to view the emails via a local replica.  If we view the mailbox on the server the email is OK.  It is only corrupted on the local replica.  If we recreate the replica or try a different PC (Win7 plus JA language pack, plus 8.5.3) the problem still occurs.


IBM is also looking at the problem.   Have not heard back from them yet.
0
 
akhafafCommented:
I have a doubt on something and I just would like to ask you a question ......

Have you tried one with one of these Win7 users to access their Mailboxes through Lotus Inotes8.5.3 and check if the problem still exist ???

By the way have you tried ...

Databases Maintainance ...... On the Server Console ...

Load fixup -f Mail\database
Load updall -r Mail\database
Load compact -c Mail\database

Or

Refresh Design
Replace Design
Update views ( Ctrl+Shift+F9)
0
 
Sjef BosmanGroupware ConsultantCommented:
I think we can rule out replication and database errors. This is really something "local", and most likely, as you suggested, a bug in Notes, e.g. a problem with the language pack. I think you'd have to ask Japanese colleagues from other organizations if they have the same issue with the same installation. Is there a JNUG that could help you out? I found this for you: http://www.notescons.gr.jp/ , maybe you can (ask someone to) contact them.
0
 
chinguettiAuthor Commented:
Dear akhafaf

Thanks for your response.

If we view the users mails on Lotus Notes 8.5.3 they are always OK on the server and but not OK on the local replica.  The first 64 characters are corrupted (see screenshot below).   This problem only occurs for Japanese emails sent via the internet not for internal lotus notes emails.    Updating design & compating, and view refreshing did not seem to help.
0
 
akhafafCommented:
Great update ... if you could kindly do a last test for problem Isolation ....!!!!!!

Just ask one of the Win7 users who have  this problem  to access their emails on a PC with a different OS e.g. XP ect. , then him/her create a new local replica then let him/her access an external Japanese email and see if he/she has the same problem or not ...

I just want to make sure that the OS (win7) has nothing to do with problem ...
0
 
chinguettiAuthor Commented:
Dear akhafaf,

We found that the problem was caused by 8.5.3 FP1 or FP2.  Installing FP3 (fix pack 3) fixed it.  Thanks for your help.


Cheers

Simon
0
 
akhafafCommented:
You are most welcome ....
0

Featured Post

Upgrade your Question Security!

Add Premium security features to your question to ensure its privacy or anonymity. Learn more about your ability to control Question Security today.

  • 4
  • 4
  • 3
Tackle projects and never again get stuck behind a technical roadblock.
Join Now