In attempting to merge an Excel database with a Word 2003 form letter, every other letter's first page is creating an unwanted page break right at the point where it's supposed to insert the list of the customer's invoices.
Also, it would be nice to be able to print those customers that have multiple invoices within a single letter. But this is more of a wishlist issue since we can simply mail the multiple letters.
The following are the instructions that I had written for the user, in case our problem might lie within our procedures (note that the file names and source data have been changed for security reasons):
• Open the ARsamples-TEMPLATE.doc file and click YES when asked to update the database
• Select Tools, Letters & Mailings, Mail Merge.
• At the bottom right of the screen, in the Mail Merge panel, click the NEXT link until you reach the step 3.
• Click the Browse link, select the file Decosimo/YYYY/ ARsamples-YYYY.xls and click the Open button.
• Select the Samples table and click OK twice.
• At the bottom right of the screen, in the Mail Merge panel, click the NEXT link to advance to step 4.
• Edit the letter per Decosimo’s template.
• Click File, Save to preserve your changes.
• At the bottom right of the screen, in the Mail Merge panel, click the NEXT link until you reach step 6.
• At the top of the right, Mail Merge panel, click Edit Individual Letters.
• Select All and click OK to create a new document.
• Load letterhead in to the printer.
• Print all letters in the new document.