Server.CreateObject Failed from ASP in IIS7
Posted on 2013-02-07
We have a 32-bit application written in VB6 that runs as both a desktop client and web application.
Due to an upgrade to the back-end, we moved everything to a new environment Windows 2008 and IIS7. We recreated the 3-tier architecture of the old system (Web server running IIS7, App server where all the application COMs are installed and Database server).
Our problem is that we cannot get the COM objects to execute from the web interface. We can get the simple ASP stuff to work, like display the Login Screen, but once we pur a call out to the application, it fails. We even tried a simple ASP that makes a single call to the remote COM and we get the same error as below (with a different line number).
This is the error that we get:
Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 8007007e'
/submissions/ValidationOfLogin.asp, line 93
We have researched all the occurrence of this problem in the internet and so far these are the steps that we have done:
1. Enabled ASP in IIS 7
2. Verified the registration the VBR/TLB files for the remote app server from the web server
3. Allowed Anonymous and User access to all the file directories and COM objects.
4. Tried different combinations of Default Authentication Level/Default Impersonation Level from the Compoenent Services
4. We've enabled Failed Request Tracing but we get the same information as above
In an attempt to simplify things, we also took out the web server from the equation and installed IIS7 on the app server. But this did not improve the situation.
This is the Windows Logs>Application entry from the Event Viewer:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local access permission to the COM Server application C:\Windows\SysWOW64\inetsrv\w3wp.exe with APPID Unavailable to the user NT AUTHORITY\ANONYMOUS LOGON SID (S-1-5-7) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC). The application set this security permission programmatically; to modify this security permission contact the application vendor.
I downloaded PROCMON and ran it with filter set to the application name but I did not see any catastrophic errors.