Link to home
Create AccountLog in
Avatar of archerslo
archersloFlag for United States of America

asked on

QuickBooks 2013 "QBW32.EXE - No Disk" Error

After upgrading from QuickBooks Pro 2010 to 2013 (R5) on Windows 7 32-bit, the user receives an error immediately upon launching the program:

QBW32.EXE - No Disk

There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk5\DR5.

Clicking "continue" allows the program to continue loading normally, but then the error continues to occur sporadically while the company file is open. This was not happening prior to upgrading and started occurring immediately upon upgrading.

I did determine that the "culprit" is the user's external backup HDD. When I disconnect the drive and restart the PC, the problem doesn't occur. If the drive gets plugged in at all while Windows is up (even if subsequently disconnected), the error occurs. I tried changing the drive letter from F: to Z: to no avail.

I reviewed http://support.quickbooks.intuit.com/support/articles/SLN63047, but it doesn't apply. Nor does the therein referenced http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330137, which is for Windows XP (but not applicable regardless).

I was on the phone with Intuit support for over an hour. Initially, I was told that uninstalling/reinstalling would cure it. I did that and the problem immediately recurred. I called back and was instructed to do a "clean install" by renaming a bunch of Intuit folders to Intuit.old after uninstalling, then reinstalling. Fail. Ultimately, tier 2 insisted that I need to contact Microsoft - or reinstall/repair Windows. Yup. That brought me great joy for sure.

So I welcome your input/suggestions! Thanks!
Avatar of John
John
Flag of Canada image

Uninstall QuickBooks entirely - all versions present. You only need the latest version, so uninstall everything QuickBooks. Restart the computer.

Now run System File Checker. Run SFC /SCANNOW and allow to complete. Run again if errors remain uncorrected.  Again restart the computer.

Now update Windows. Make sure all .NET Frameworks V 2 through V4.5 are installed properly. Make sure the Windows Updates incude the optional as well as recommended. Assuming updates happen, Windows will restart here.

Look at your notes above and delete the Intuit folders they told you to delete. Make sure you have backed up your Company File if you keep it locally  before you delete anything.

Question: Is your Company File local or on a Server?

If just local, now reinstall QuickBooks and check for proper operation.

If Server:

1. Make sure you can properly map a drive on the server where the Company File is. Map, do not browse.

2. Install the Server Engine (but not QuickBooks) on the server. Make sure the Company File is on the same physical partition as the Server Engine.

3. Install QuickBooks and make sure File, Host Multi User Access is disabled.

4. Assuming you mapped the folder, close any open QB files (if there are any open), use the Centre Window in QB and the Open File button. Navigate to the folder and try again.

This should get you going, but please let us know.

.... Thinkpads_User
By the way, if QuickBooks is trying to open a file that does not exist (you moved it or whatever) open a command window and navigate to the program folder where the QuickBooks program lives.  Type QBW32.exe /nofile and enter. This should force QB to open with no file.

... Thinkpads_User
Avatar of archerslo

ASKER

No other versions are installed. The problem occurs even on the very first run of a clean install, so the company file location isn't part of this equation. Windows is up-to-date. So running SFC is about the only thing left to do from your suggestions.
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Avatar of EMJSR
EMJSR
Flag of United States of America image

Link to home
membership
Create an account to see this answer
Signing up is free. No credit card required.
Create Account
Try running QB from a new (different) Windows Userid Profile. You may have a corrupt user profile.

.... Thinkpads_User
Thank you for the suggestions! I'll give them a shot tomorrow.
Problem followed when logged in as a different user.

Found numerous entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices . Backed up, as suggested, then proceeded to carefully compare data values and purge all of the "Volume" entries that didn't have corresponding "DosDevices" entries. Restarted the computer, problem resolved.

That was a frustrating and elusive issue. Thanks very much for the great tip!
You're welcome. I've had issues with drives and drive letters not doing what they should in the past. There are so many ways to approach this, it's hard. The process of elimination works usually though! Glad it helped!