Problems with OWA and ActiveSync after Update Rollups on Exchange 2010 SP1

So, my Windows Update applied Update Rollups 7-v2 and 8 for Exchange 2010 SP1 and now both OWA and ActiveSync are no longer working. The error I receive when I try to go to OWA is this:

Could not load file or assembly '2013-03-12 21-00 Copy of Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)

I have tried removing the updates, re-applying them as well as resetting and re-configuring the virtual directories all to no avail. Short of restoring the system to a point before the update, can anyone make another suggestion?

Let me know. Thanks!
medium_gradeAsked:
Who is Participating?
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

PradeepCommented:
New Updates ruined some files..

Restoring from backup is the only option left.. as u have already resetted VD's & all other possible ways.

I have seen in some articles that we have to re-install CAS role from Command prompt.

Check the similar issue happened on 2007 server.

But restoring from backup would be ideal way.
Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
I would skip SP2 and go straight to Exchange 2010 SP3. SP1 is very old. Even rollup 3 has suggested above is old.

The Exchange service packs effectively reinstall the entire product and will resolve a lot of issues.

Simon.
Maximize Customer Retention with Superior Service

The IT Service Excellence Tool Kit delivers expert advice for technology solution providers. Get your free copy for valuable how-to assets including sample agreements, checklists, flowcharts, and more to help build customer satisfaction and retention.

medium_gradeAuthor Commented:
Installed Service Pack. No dice. Uninstalled Client Access Services. No dice. Anymore ideas?
Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
You are getting the identical error after the service pack installation? Highly unusual to survive a service pack installation.

Simon.
medium_gradeAuthor Commented:
Yes, same error after SP3 install. Any other ideas ?
Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
My instinct is that something else must have installed at the same time, or around the same time as the updates that you installed for Exchange. That has broken things. .netframework would be my guess. I am finding nothing specifically related to Exchange, it is all developer related, which points to something else. As I wrote above, highly unusual for errors to survive a reinstall, which points to something outside of Exchange as the cause.

Simon.
medium_gradeAuthor Commented:
Got it. You're gonna love this:

If you'll notice, the error mentions "2013-03-12 21-00 Copy of Microsoft.Exchange.Clients.Owa" The first part is the key. When I started fishing around my Exchange program folder, I found many DLLs, config files and XSD files with duplicate copies that had this "2013-03-12 21-00 Copy of" string in the beginning. It looks as though one of the updates did not remove the older backup copies of the various Exchange files once it installed the new ones. Exchange, it seems, simply loads whatever libraries just happen to be in those folders and, if it detects a mismatch, errors out. I had to delete duplicate files from the following directories:

C:\Program Files\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Autodiscover\bin
C:\Program Files\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\ecp\bin
C:\Program Files\Exchange Server\V14\ExchangeOAB\a986a330-9e79-4eef-bb89-11ab58573e49
C:\Program Files\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\exchweb\ews\bin
C:\Program Files\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Owa\Bin
C:\Program Files\Exchange Server\V14\RemoteScripts
C:\Program Files\Exchange Server\V14\Scripts
C:\Program Files\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Sync\Bin
C:\Program Files\Exchange Server\V14\ClientAccess\Sync\Xsd
C:\Program Files\Exchange Server\V14\Bin

Once deleted, OWA, Autodiscover and ActiveSync worked perfectly. I really wanted to post this fix in the hopes that the next person who receives this error will find it.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
medium_gradeAuthor Commented:
The issue was one that I was able to fix on my own. None of the other answers given seemed to relate to the fix directly.
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Windows Server 2008

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.