This is the first time I've moved an established site to a new domain and hosting company. I didn't want to lose any link juice or upset the page ranking too much, so I did a lot of research to make sure I did this right. I'm coming here to double check with some experts.
Here's what I did:
1. Pointed new domain name to new hosting provider (Site5.com)
2. Installed Wordpress, wp-content and database (Site5.com)
3. At old hosting company (Hostgator), I added a 301 redirect to .htaccess, removed files and database
I have a few questions:
1. Do I need to forward the old domain, which is a third independent registrar (Joker.com), to the new server (Site5.com) or will the 301 redirect do the trick at Hostgator.
2. What happens when the Hostgator account is closed?
3. Did I F#%$ something up? Right now when I go to any internal pages (initial visit to site) I get a 404 page not found, because there are no files etc.. I though the 301 redirect was supposed to kick in...
Thanks so much