I am in the process of researching the purchase of an upgrade for our company server.
We have 25 -30 users who will be needing simultaneous access to the server. The primary concern is speeding up the use of our custom CRM application, which uses Sql Server Express as the backend.
(Our current server is a Dell PE840 with a single Xeon 3050 2.13 ghz 4gig ram, no raid, running Win server 2003 r2)
The server I'm considering is a Dell T620 with 2 xeon E5-2620 2ghz processors, 16 gigs rams, 2 100 gig SSDs running in a Raid 1 for the operating system, and 3 500 Gig Hard Drives in a Raid 5 for data storage. The OS will be Windows server 2012 Standard. (See the attached Word doc for the specifics)
This is my first server purchase so I want to get it right.
1. Any suggestions as to changes in the hardware selection?
2. Do you see any bottlenecks?
3. Windows server 2012 comes with 2 VMs. I have no experience with VMs. Would there be any advantage to setting up the Sql Server Express in one of the VMs?
4. If so, (excuse my ignorance) would I get a second NIC to use for the VM ?
5. Any other ways to make use of the VMs to speed things up?
6. Can I expect a noticeable increase in speed as compared to our current system?
thanks for your help!