dual redundant DCs no longer update reverse lookup zone info from secondary DHCP
Posted on 2013-05-10
- two (2) DCs (2008 R2 domain controllers) configured for redundancy on 172.16.10 subnet
- DNS integrated with AD (Active Directory)
- SOA (Start of Authority) here for entire domain
two (2) remote sites:
- two (2) remote locations 172.16.20 & 172.16.30
- single 2008 R2 server at each site with mainly IP devices
- both remote locations have secondary DNS servers and local DHCP
- DHCP configured to point to primary site DCs as DNS
Functionality we had:
- when we had one (1) DC at primary site (172.16.10) - DHCP updates at secondary sites (172.16.20 & 172.16.30) would show up in "reverse lookup zones" in the DNS of the primary site (172.16.10) ... this allowed primary site to know dynamic IP addresses of secondary sites remote devices
This functionality was lost when we added second (2) DC to the primary site. Changes by remote secondary sites' DHCP (172.16.20 & 172.16.30) are no longer seen in primary site (172.16.10) DNS "reverse lookup zones"
How do we configure so we have the desired functionality with redundant primary DCs?
Thanks in advance for your help