I have a SharePoint 2010 environment that is not allowing users to check in their Excel or Word documents over https. Users can save their documents over http.
This is what they are experiencing:
1. click Excel document which opens in Excel.
2. User clicks 'Check Out' in Excel
3. Edit Offline Pop up appears (States that Offline document will be stored on your computer in SharePoint Drafts)
4. user clicks OK
5. User makes their changes.
6. User clicks save (which saves locally with no issue).
7. When user attempts to close Excel they are prompted to check in.
8. User clicks yes and a pop up appears for Check In version comments. User enters their
comments and click ok.
9. A bar appears as if it is updating SharePoint, but Excel does not close.
10. User attempts to close Excel again and same process is repeated from step 7 above.
11. If user Clicks No to Check in, Excel is closed.
12. The document shows as checked out in SharePoint and does contain the changes.
13. In SharePoint if the user attempts to check in a pop up appears for comments.
14. After user enters their comments and clicks ok
15. Another pop up appears notifying the user that they are about to upload the file to SharePoint, Do you want to continue. The user clicks yes.
16. The user receives the following message:
This document was checked out to your local drafts folder but the local copy could not be checked in to the site. Close any application that is editing the document and try to check in again, or discard the checkout.
Excel is not open nor is the file being edited. Ultimately, the user has to discard the check out to get rid of the lock on the file.