Solved

Disable Group Policy Managed Screensaver During Presentations?

Posted on 2013-05-14
7
2,544 Views
Last Modified: 2013-05-22
We have a password protected screensaver enabled for our workstations to auto-lock idle computers. Clients are running Windows 7 Pro x64.

However, our conference rooms have VGA inputs where employees can connect their laptops for meetings. If they are presenting a PowerPoint, it somehow stops the screensaver from appearing.

I'm wondering if we can do anything group policy or otherwise to allow the screensaver to be disabled during presentations.

Note: I've tried turning on "presentation mode", but it doesn't seem to have any effect, possible because the screensaver settings are AD managed. Any other thoughts?
0
Comment
Question by:DVation191
  • 2
  • 2
  • 2
  • +1
7 Comments
 
LVL 8

Expert Comment

by:d0ughb0y
ID: 39165189
If it's coming from Policy, and the policy affects those computers, then no - there's not much you can do about it. However, you could specifically set those computers into a different OU in Active Directory, and apply a different policy only to that OU. That would fix the problem. But it does mean that those computers will not have the screensaver put in place automatically.
0
 
LVL 11

Assisted Solution

by:Giladn
Giladn earned 167 total points
ID: 39165202
if those laptops are on your domain  you can deny those laptops from GROUP POLICY
see here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816100
0
 
LVL 20

Author Comment

by:DVation191
ID: 39165218
I didn't mention that these laptops are used as the employees' main workstations - so putting them in a separate OU that doesn't get the screensaver policy isn't an option. The 99% of the time they are not giving a presentation requires that their machines lock when idle. I'm trying to see if there's some way to manage the other 1%.
0
Create the perfect environment for any meeting

You might have a modern environment with all sorts of high-tech equipment, but what makes it worthwhile is how you seamlessly bring together the presentation with audio, video and lighting. The ATEN Control System provides integrated control and system automation.

 
LVL 8

Accepted Solution

by:
d0ughb0y earned 167 total points
ID: 39165228
Oh - whoops. I didn't notice that these were employee laptops. Actually, in this case, I don't think either solution is going to suit you. You're essentially looking for a way to say, "I want this policy to affect this computer when it's in Room A, but not when it's in Room B." But policies don't work that way. They follow the user or the computer. They don't follow the Room.

I would suggest that you either disable the policy, and use HR policies to enforce it. (I.e. If your machine isn't locked when you're away from your desk, you're in violation of the AUP, and can be penalized.) Alternatively, I would consider installing a Conference Room computer, specifically for use there, and then keep that machine from falling under that policy.
0
 
LVL 11

Expert Comment

by:Giladn
ID: 39165272
0
 
LVL 20

Author Comment

by:DVation191
ID: 39165276
All good points.

Yes, group policy is not "room specific", but yet there is some mechanism in PowerPoint that prevents the screensaver - so it's definitely possible.

Disabling the policy and using HR is something I've considered. Unfortunately we can't enforce this current as we're a small company with outsourced HR management and IT doesn't have the resources to perform these audits at this time.

We do also have a conference room computer, but for various reasons that aren't important, sometimes users want/need to use their own machine. These machines are excluded from the policy already.
0
 
LVL 16

Assisted Solution

by:ThinkPaper
ThinkPaper earned 166 total points
ID: 39172619
0

Featured Post

Networking for the Cloud Era

Join Microsoft and Riverbed for a discussion and demonstration of enhancements to SteelConnect:
-One-click orchestration and cloud connectivity in Azure environments
-Tight integration of SD-WAN and WAN optimization capabilities
-Scalability and resiliency equal to a data center

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

An article on effective troubleshooting
In-place Upgrading Dirsync to Azure AD Connect
This Micro Tutorial will give you a basic overview of Windows DVD Burner through its features and interface. This will be demonstrated using Windows 7 operating system.
This video shows how to use Hyena, from SystemTools Software, to bulk import 100 user accounts from an external text file. View in 1080p for best video quality.

828 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question