Outgoing mail queue slowness

We have recently installed Exchange 2013. We have noticed that with one recipient domain (wis.edu), mail just parks in the outgoing mail queue for more than an hour, then it sends. This does not happen with other recipients. Is there anything I can do to tweak the transoport service to force these emails to send quicker?
LVL 1
jm00rmanAsked:
Who is Participating?

[Product update] Infrastructure Analysis Tool is now available with Business Accounts.Learn More

x
I wear a lot of hats...

"The solutions and answers provided on Experts Exchange have been extremely helpful to me over the last few years. I wear a lot of hats - Developer, Database Administrator, Help Desk, etc., so I know a lot of things but not a lot about one thing. Experts Exchange gives me answers from people who do know a lot about one thing, in a easy to use platform." -Todd S.

Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
Not really - it will be something about how that remote domain is working.
Do you see an error in the queue viewer?

Simon.
0

Experts Exchange Solution brought to you by

Your issues matter to us.

Facing a tech roadblock? Get the help and guidance you need from experienced professionals who care. Ask your question anytime, anywhere, with no hassle.

Start your 7-day free trial
jm00rmanAuthor Commented:
I'm not seeing any erros in the queue viewer. However, I have found that a second domain  is also experiencing similar delays, oneumd.org .

I checked the MX records for both sites and the common thread is that google mail servers are involved on both sites:


Here's oneumd.org:
oneumd.org      MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = aspmx2.googlemail.com
oneumd.org      MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = aspmx5.googlemail.com
oneumd.org      MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = alt1.aspmx.l.google.com
oneumd.org      MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = aspmx.l.google.com
oneumd.org      MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = aspmx4.googlemail.com
oneumd.org      MX preference = 20, mail exchanger = alt2.aspmx.l.google.com
oneumd.org      MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = aspmx3.googlemail.com

aspmx2.googlemail.com   internet address = 173.194.67.27
aspmx2.googlemail.com   AAAA IPv6 address = 2a00:1450:400c:c05::1a
alt1.aspmx.l.google.com internet address = 173.194.67.26
aspmx.l.google.com      internet address = 173.194.74.27
aspmx.l.google.com      AAAA IPv6 address = 2607:f8b0:400d:c01::1a
aspmx4.googlemail.com   AAAA IPv6 address = 2a00:1450:4001:c02::1a
alt2.aspmx.l.google.com AAAA IPv6 address = 2a00:1450:4013:c00::1a
aspmx3.googlemail.com   internet address = 173.194.65.27
aspmx3.googlemail.com   AAAA IPv6 address = 2a00:1450:4013:c00::1b

here's wis.edu:

wis.edu MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = alt1.aspmx.l.google.com
wis.edu MX preference = 5, mail exchanger = alt2.aspmx.l.google.com
wis.edu MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = aspmx2.googlemail.com
wis.edu MX preference = 10, mail exchanger = aspmx3.googlemail.com
wis.edu MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = aspmx4.googlemail.com
wis.edu MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = aspmx5.googlemail.com
wis.edu MX preference = 30, mail exchanger = wis.edu.s9a1.psmtp.com
wis.edu MX preference = 2, mail exchanger = wis.edu.s9a2.psmtp.com
wis.edu MX preference = 3, mail exchanger = wis.edu.s9b1.psmtp.com
wis.edu MX preference = 4, mail exchanger = wis.edu.s9b2.psmtp.com
wis.edu MX preference = 1, mail exchanger = aspmx.l.google.com

alt1.aspmx.l.google.com internet address = 173.194.67.26
alt1.aspmx.l.google.com AAAA IPv6 address = 2a00:1450:400c:c05::1a
alt2.aspmx.l.google.com AAAA IPv6 address = 2a00:1450:4013:c00::1a
aspmx2.googlemail.com   internet address = 173.194.67.27
aspmx2.googlemail.com   AAAA IPv6 address = 2a00:1450:400c:c05::1a
aspmx3.googlemail.com   internet address = 173.194.65.27
aspmx3.googlemail.com   AAAA IPv6 address = 2a00:1450:4013:c00::1b
wis.edu.s9a2.psmtp.com  internet address = 74.125.148.11
0
jm00rmanAuthor Commented:
It also looks like postini is also involved.
0
Simon Butler (Sembee)ConsultantCommented:
Postini and Google apps are basically the same thing.
Not a huge amount you can do, even the customer will struggle as Google don't have any kind of direct support - you use their online services.
You could try sending email for those domains via a smart host and setting it to your ISPs SMTP Server.

Otherwise ensure that you have everything correct - so PTR, valid A record that matches. SPF record would probably help and ensure that your firewall doesn't scan SMTP traffic.

Simon.
0
jm00rmanAuthor Commented:
It was really stupid. The old Cisco SMTP fixup curse. I updated the IOS configuration on the ASA with the following configuration:

no fixup protocol smtp 25

and the emails sailed out of the queue without hesitation. Thanks for your help anyway.
0
It's more than this solution.Get answers and train to solve all your tech problems - anytime, anywhere.Try it for free Edge Out The Competitionfor your dream job with proven skills and certifications.Get started today Stand Outas the employee with proven skills.Start learning today for free Move Your Career Forwardwith certification training in the latest technologies.Start your trial today
Exchange

From novice to tech pro — start learning today.