Solved

MS Outlook 2003 does not work from a 3rd party product on Windows XP

Posted on 2013-05-16
9
229 Views
Last Modified: 2014-02-03
The environment:

Windows XP SP3 with all the latest updates.

MS Office 2003 Pro

MS Outlook appears to be working just fine as the default E-mail client.


The problem:

Triggering E-mail from 3rd party products such as OpenOffice, Adobe Reader or Bluebeam Revue does not work using "File / E-mail" or "File / Send / as E-mail" or "File / Attach to E-mail".

The message that is returned is "Microsoft Outlook   The operation failed"

Email from MS Office Word or Explore which uses "Send To / Mail Recipient" works.


Setup:

The Control Panel / Internet Options / Programs / e-mail: is set to "Microsoft Office Outlook"


The Registry key is set to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto\shell\open\command
"D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\OFFICE11\OUTLOOK.EXE" -c IPM.Note /m "%1"  


Anomalies:

If either the 3rd party product is reinstalled or MS Outlook is refreshed, then the attaching and sending and E-mail from within the 3rd party product works once, only, and subsequent attempts fail.

Changing the Internet Options to either Outlook Express or Thunderbird works just fine.

In one case MS Outlook is not the default E-mail program.


Scope:

This problem occurs and is repeatable on more than 1 XP workstation.  

Any ideas on how to resolve would be appreciated.
0
Comment
Question by:Alyork
  • 6
  • 3
9 Comments
 
LVL 47

Assisted Solution

by:apache09
apache09 earned 500 total points
ID: 39173564
This is actually quite common
3rd party apps
Even Word and Excel, dont really use outlook itsleft to send mail
its uses something called MAPIMAIL Service

Although the GUI you see looks like outlook/exchange
The service in the background is whats sending the mail item

Now quite often through installation of 3rd party apps, or even office upgrades the mapi dlls that allow this service to run can become broken or corrupt causing the send to operation to fail

You can fix this by closing out of all applications
locating your Mapi dlls
Renaming them or deleting them

then restarting outlook, thus re-creatig working versions

The new mapi dlls should rstore functionality

Here is a good link I use all the time when reffering to repairing or fixing Mapi Errors
http://www.ctimls.com/support/kb/error%20fixes/fix_mapi_error.htm
0
 

Author Comment

by:Alyork
ID: 39176478
Have tried the the solution proposed above a number of times following the MS link and instructions, with no luck in resolving the problem. We have now made it worse in that we can no longer email from Explore.
0
 
LVL 47

Expert Comment

by:apache09
ID: 39179529
Did you rename your dlls to .old?  or did you delete them?
0
The Eight Noble Truths of Backup and Recovery

How can IT departments tackle the challenges of a Big Data world? This white paper provides a roadmap to success and helps companies ensure that all their data is safe and secure, no matter if it resides on-premise with physical or virtual machines or in the cloud.

 

Author Comment

by:Alyork
ID: 39189523
They were renamed.
0
 
LVL 47

Expert Comment

by:apache09
ID: 39189535
When you renamed them, were new ones created in their place?
If you dont see new ones created, you may have missed a step somewhere in the process
If you do see new ones that have been created, do a search and make sure you found ALL of the dlls, then try again

If still no luck

"We have now made it worse in that we can no longer email from Explore. "

Simply go back then and rename your mapi dlls back to their previous file name
Delete any new ones that were created (or rename if your unsure)

This should restore the functionality back
0
 

Author Comment

by:Alyork
ID: 39204732
No files were created.

Will do the undo and some more searching.
0
 

Author Comment

by:Alyork
ID: 39204736
Sorry I meant NEW files were created.
0
 

Accepted Solution

by:
Alyork earned 0 total points
ID: 39405495
Just to follow up. We've given up. Numerous computers and same situation with all kinds of software seem to indicate that this problem is not solveable.  

Thanks for your suggestions.

- Al
0
 

Author Closing Comment

by:Alyork
ID: 39829100
Never resolved.
0

Featured Post

U.S. Department of Agriculture and Acronis Access

With the new era of mobile computing, smartphones and tablets, wireless communications and cloud services, the USDA sought to take advantage of a mobilized workforce and the blurring lines between personal and corporate computing resources.

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

As with any other System Center product, the installation for the Authoring Tool can be quite a pain sometimes. This article serves to help you avoid making these mistakes and hopefully save you a ton of time on troubleshooting :)  Step 1: Make sur…
In this step by step procedure, you will come to know the details of creating an Outlook meeting in 2007, 2010, 2013 & 2016.
The viewer will learn how to use the =DISCRINV command to create a discrete random variable, use this command to model a set of probabilities and outcomes in a Monte Carlo simulation, and learn how to find the standard deviation of a set of probabil…
Access reports are powerful and flexible. Learn how to create a query and then a grouped report using the wizard. Modify the report design after the wizard is done to make it look better. There will be another video to explain how to put the final p…

805 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question