How to open a recovered server with RAID using VMWare Player
Posted on 2013-05-19
I received a portable drive with files recovered from a Dell server. The server was configured with the OS on a RAID 1 array (as C:) and the apps/ data on a RAID 10 array (as D: - F:).
According to the guy who recovered the data (I cannot contact him now, hence this post), I should be able to turn on the recovered computer as a VM within VMware Player. That's not working.
According to his instructions, when I initially select the servername.vmx file, I should get a prompt to browse to the RAID file in a different folder. However, that doesn't happen. When I open VMware Player (using Win8 as the host), I can browse to the primary folder, but I never get an option to browse to the RAID file.
Here are his instructions:
"Please be aware that the Raid is included in the \\VM\DD folder and needs to be mapped.
Please load up VM and open vm file \\VM\servername\servername.vmx
It will request RAID File and please point to \VM\DD\servername-0.vmdk"
Here's what the folder structure looks like on the portable drive (there are more files than noted, but these are the highlights):
- servername-flat.vmdk (143 GB)
- servername.vmxf (1kb)
- servername-0-000001.vdmk (349 MB)
- servername-0-000002.vdmk (144 MB)
- servername-0-000003.vdmk (86 MB)
- servername-0-000004.vdmk (35 MB)
- servername-000001.vdmk (1.3 GB)
- servername-000002.vdmk (1 GB)
- servername-000003.vdmk (0.5 GB)
- servername-000004.vdmk (0.017 GB)
- plus snapshots, logs, gz, one .vmem, and one .vmss file
-RAID.001 (286 GB)
I don't have any experience with VMware, and my original intent was to eventually convert the vdmk file to a .vhd file with Starwind. However, I can't figure out how to do the RAID mapping just to get started.
I attached the vmx file. The only thing that looks a bit odd is the search path (the J: drive is valid, but the referenced E: drive is not).
Anyhow, I expected to be prompted to search for the RAID configuration file, but that isn't happening.
1. How to I view this recovered server within VMware Player?
2. Once I get that working, what's the best strategy to convert this to a Hyper-V vhd format?
Thanks in advance.