Link to home
Start Free TrialLog in
Avatar of nigelr99
nigelr99Flag for United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

asked on

Access form refresh / re-calculation delay

I have an Access database front-end with an SQL Server back-end. The main form consists of several sub-forms (containing simple totals) and various text-boxes, some of which are calculated based on sub-form totals.

It's actually a quoting application, whereby the sub-forms for materials / labour etc. are totalled up to give an overall cost, with additional input fields for discount / markup etc. The main 'quote' record is linked to several other tables for materials used, labour required etc. Normal sort of stuff I guess.

An initial problem meant that all the calculations were not correct if a user modified a field and then pressed print without the record being updated. To resolve this,  I now refresh/requery the form to ensure any field the user is currently in is updated and all calculations are correct (especially the overall quotation value of course). I found I had to add a fixed delay before printing to enable everything to refresh otherwise the printed quote did not correspond to the correct values on-screen. However, on some slower machines this is not long enough  - the delay is already up to several seconds which is getting a bit ridiculous as far as users are concerned.. normally pressing print should at least show a preview in a reasonable time.

Does anyone have any ideas how to resolve this, whether it be a better way of ensuring everything is up-to-date on the form before printing or telling me there's something obvious I've missed in all of this?

Thanks
SOLUTION
Avatar of chaau
chaau
Flag of Australia image

Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
ASKER CERTIFIED SOLUTION
Link to home
membership
This solution is only available to members.
To access this solution, you must be a member of Experts Exchange.
Start Free Trial
Avatar of nigelr99

ASKER

Sorry for slow reply, didn't have the chance to test for a few days. Taking the 2 replies I had, I realised that I didn't really need to requery as it meant the subforms were also requerying as well which seemed to take the most time.
In the end, I replaced the requery with a simple docmd.Save which seems to have done the trick for the time being.
I've awarded some points to each reply, hopefully the split is agreeable.
Many thanks