We did a migration from server 2003 to SBS 2011 a few months back. We had some issues with X500 addresses, which I learnt all about once we ran in to the problems.
So I went through and added everyone's X500 addresses to their email addresses. Everything seems to be working fine until now. I get a user saying that the X500 address can't be resolved AGAIN and it always seems to be for this specific user. I know you're supposed to be able to just derive the X500 address from the diagnostic error but I've done that (also with variants) and seems to keep happening.
Can anyone tell me what the X500 address should be for this particular user based on this diagnostics?
Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:
The e-mail address you entered couldn't be found. Please check the recipient's e-mail address and try to resend the message. If the problem continues, please contact your helpdesk.
Diagnostic information for administrators:
Generating server: BON-VSBS-01.domain.local
#550 5.1.1 RESOLVER.ADR.ExRecipNotFound; not found ##
Original message headers:
Received: from BON-VSBS-01.domain.local ([fe80::3cef:11cb:bf8c:967]) by
BON-VSBS-01.domain.local ([fe80::3cef:11cb:bf8c:967%10]) with mapi id
14.01.0438.000; Wed, 22 May 2013 16:23:05 +1000
Content-Type: application/ms-tnef; name="winmail.dat"
From: Firstname Lastname <email@example.com>
To: Firstname Lastname <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Subject: Canceled: Subject
Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 16:23:04 +1000
Accept-Language: en-AU, en-US