Remove-ActiveSyncDevice Removes the phones... but they come back
Posted on 2013-05-22
So I have ran this command multiple times trying to figure this one out: Remove-ActiveSyncDevice -Identity "id goes here"
When I run it it asks me to confirm.
I then run: get-activesyncdevicestatistics -Mailbox "mailbox name" | fl identity
Nothing shows up. It removed the device.
I do to my WP8 and my GalaxyS3 and refresh the mail... they sync.
running the activesyncdeviestatistics cmdlet shows they have returned!
I have repeated these steps over and over. It won't go away. I have also tried removing the device from the Exchange 2010 OWA as well as the Exchange 2010 Console. The only thing that works is wiping the device. I can't do that.
Exchange 2010 SP2