Want to win a PS4? Go Premium and enter to win our High-Tech Treats giveaway. Enter to Win


Activesync Exchange 2010 will not verify account iOS users

Posted on 2013-05-25
Medium Priority
Last Modified: 2013-06-03
I've been working on this for too long now. I have 2 iphone users windows server 2008 R2, Exchange 2010 who cannot get their iphones connected using exchaneg activesync. One of the iphones was working for several months and one is brand new. I have a android device that is working with activesync. The problems started when the Exchange transaction logs filled up and their w3wp.exe processes were consuming a ton of cpu. I finally have that straightened out. Their certificate has all the correct names, autodiscover is working properly, DNS is working, I have deleted and recreated a few of the iis 7.5 virtual directories, checked authentication and permissions. I have been at this for 3 straight days and a bunch of hours prior to that. The activesync broke for good last Wednesday right after some strange certificate prompts started in outlook 2007 and above which I believe was related to autodiscover. Like I said, i think I have all of that squared away. The exchange remote tests pass. When I sign into accoutn on the phone, it spins forever verifying account and then eventually fails. I tried a decent number of things on the phone-reset network settings, delete and recreate the account more times than I can count, tried a brand new test user who worked the first time I connected it and then after connecting the problem users successfully one time, they all broke again.  I'm stuck  Any help would be appreciated.
Question by:ctakach
Welcome to Experts Exchange

Add your voice to the tech community where 5M+ people just like you are talking about what matters.

  • Help others & share knowledge
  • Earn cash & points
  • Learn & ask questions
  • 2

Expert Comment

ID: 39198123

Does the users haves a lots of contacts ? The sollution is to minimize te contacts

See here:

his issue is caused by iOS devices trying to sync the contact database of someone with A LOT of contacts (in my case 6000).  Microsoft states that this is only an issue with iOS devices running 5.x and above but I am only seeing this issue with an iPad 3.  In order to identify who is causing the issue:
1. Download and install the Log Parser Studio on your workstation:
2. Use the Log Parser Studio to analyze the IIS logs of the Client Access Server with the processor issue.  Open the latest log file from here: C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles\W3SVC1
3. Run the custom Log Parser Query from the following KB to determine which users are causing the issue:
The KB references a few fixes to the issue.  Unfortunately setting a throttling policy did not work for me and the other resolutions, such as disabling contact sync on the device is an extremely poor solution to the issue.  Microsoft insists that this is an Apple issue and that Apple must release a fix.  Personally I think that Microsoft should be able to limit a device that is causing problems and I have refused to allow them to close the case until they provide a resolution.
Good luck and I will repost if I come to a resolution with Microsoft on this.
LVL 15

Expert Comment

ID: 39198518
I would recommend running Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync Connectivity Tests at
Does it report any errors?

Accepted Solution

ctakach earned 0 total points
ID: 39202408
The customer's Exchange wasn't patched.  As soon as I patched it up to SP3, worked through some initial access issues with the EMC and reset all the authentication and SSL settings, the iPhones worked and the Blackberry user worked.  I still have an Android device that is not working with a 403 error in the iis log.  I moved his mailbox though to a different database. I found this broke the Blackberry user so I moved him back. It was easier to do that than follow RIM's 8 steps which is ridiculous.  The user is switching to an iPhone in the next couple weeks. I am doing a few more tests for the Android user and will move his mailbox back as well if that ends up being the solution. I reset his AD permissions and will have him test as external and internal user to the network. I had tried all of the suggestions above prior to submitting my question.

Just as an aside for other viewers, the w3wp.exe IIS worker processes were so queued up with requests, they couldn't pass the traffic from the phones and wouldn't accept new requests. Best advice I can give for Windows and exchange servers is to always patch first and then try to fix. I did the opposite and wasted a bit of time.

Author Closing Comment

ID: 39215668
I just kept working at the errors and the proposed solutions had already been tried by me.

Featured Post

Industry Leaders: We Want Your Opinion!

We value your feedback.

Take our survey and automatically be enter to win anyone of the following:
Yeti Cooler, Amazon eGift Card, and Movie eGift Card!

Question has a verified solution.

If you are experiencing a similar issue, please ask a related question

A couple of months ago we ran into an issue that necessitated re-creating our Edge Subscriptions. However, when we attempted to execute the command: New-EdgeSubscription -filename C:\NewEdgeSub_01.xml we received an error indicating that the LDAP se…
This month, Experts Exchange sat down with resident SQL expert, Jim Horn, for an in-depth look into the makings of a successful career in SQL.
The video tutorial explains the basics of the Exchange server Database Availability groups. The components of this video include: 1. Automatic Failover 2. Failover Clustering 3. Active Manager
how to add IIS SMTP to handle application/Scanner relays into office 365.
Suggested Courses

636 members asked questions and received personalized solutions in the past 7 days.

Join the community of 500,000 technology professionals and ask your questions.

Join & Ask a Question