Cannot synchronize folders of iMap emails to server
Posted on 2013-05-28
We recently moved a clients domain and all email accounts to our server. Since the move we keep getting the following error when Outlook automatically sends/receives. I've changed my settings constantly back and forth to isolate the issue with no luck.
I've changed my SMTP from port 587 to port 465 (SSL required) back to default port 25. I can send/receive emails just fine, but the darn send/receive error is plaguing my clients who all use Outlook 2010. I'm using Outlook 2007 and experience the same issue.
I originally added the old server and new server credentials into Outlook and manually dragged/dropped the emails/folders from the old server to the new server. I then deleted out the old server credentials. This has always been a issue that is only happening on the new server email accounts.
I'm stumped :(
This occurs with ALL iMap email accounts. It's not a issue on POP3 accounts also residing on the same domain and server.
Task "Synchronizing subscribed folders for ______@______.com," reported error (0x800CCC0e) : 'Outlook cannot synchronize subscribed folders for ______@______.com. Error Cannot connect to the server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'