I am new to Virtualization and need some advice.
I have a server that I had just put 2008 server std on.
So I installed Hyper V
Set up a new Virtual server and all great.
Both on Evaluation licences for now.
Also set up a windows 8 on server.
But I have a whole load of obscure questions that I hope you might be able to clarify for me.
1. Should I have put the cut down version of 2008 on first not full version? I am not going to have any roles on the base.
2. Should I be using 2012 server instead of 2008 to host and to use for that matter?
3. Should I be using “Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012” instead as host, as it seems to be free? Can I put a mix of 2003, 2008 and 2012 servers on it?
4. I think I need to use P2V: Converting Physical Computers to Virtual Machines in VMM. As I want to import 2 old 2003 servers from physical to virtual. Does it really work in real time without problems? Is it free or do I have to buy, and again which version.
5. I have to buy new licences as we are all 2003 at the moment.
Somewhere I read that if I buy 2012 server and cals, that I can install 2008 and use these. if so does that mean that the no. I get with the 2012 licence will work if I install 2008? This will then mean I don’t have to buy new cals when we eventually go over to 2012.
6. I believe if I buy 1 copy of 2008 or 2012 Enterprise version I can load 4 virtual servers on the same host?